Skip to main content

Greetings

Please forgive my lack of proper terminology as this is all rather new to me. I've recently took over a lighting job at a venue that has (among other things) 2 DJ Spot 250s which are controlled (master/slave? ... one cable from the Elation to one of the spots, then one cable from that spot to the other ... again, please forgive) with an Elation DMX operator.

Next to the readout on the spots, there is a small red indicator light that is flashing on both spots. I've read through the manual and can't find any reference to these indicators, and I can't remember if they always flashed and don't know if they're suppose to be flashing.

Can someone enlighten me please?

I AM having issues witht the operation of these spots, and maybe these indicators are trying to tell me something is not quite right :-)

Thanks!

Dale
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Dale, Welcome to the forums. as far as i know all ADJ and elation Movers will flash there LED display if the unit is not receiving DMX. or is not properly connected to the controller. Also if you have a cable going from controller too the lights make sure the lights are not in master/Slave mode. that could be why DMX is not working. so check out the manuals on those lights. you can do so by going to the product page on our website.
Also P.s. check out our new contest in the Announcements sections!
Sincerely,
Hello, and thanks for the reply James.

I am able to control (somewhat) the spots with the Elation DMX Operator, so they should be receiving DMX. I've made sure their address settings didn't get corrupt somehow (A.001 & A.017). I've Reset the spots a couple of times, but that didn't solve the real issue, which is slow scene changes.

When I took over this job, the spots worked 'ok'. But a couple of weeks ago, something happened where the spots are now slow to change from one scene to another. I'm aware that there are Speed and Fade Time controls on the Elation, but they don't seem to have ANY control over the spots.

edit
Also maybe worth mentioning, no one is able to touch the wiring but me, so I know everything is still wired correctly.

Thanks again!
ok well are the functions on the heads themselves still correct? are you using DMX cable and not Mic cable? do the dj spots have some sort of pan and tilt speed? and if so are these functions off in the scenes? is there a dmx terminator at the end of the dmx line? Are you guys using any type of opto isolators? such as a elation Opto Branch 4?
Let me know.
Sincerely,
The functions are still correct...tilt, pan etc. I have to assume we are using mic cables, and I assume there is a DMX terminator at end of line. Seriously, everything use to work fine, and nothing has been rewired, as I am the only person that has physical access to the spots. A couple of weeks ago we didn't properly power the spots up. We turned the spots on first, then the controller. I've been having problems with them ever since. Sorry, I don't know what a opto isolator is, but have reason to doubt that we are using it/them.
Just another thought.

The DMX Operator has a DMX polarity switch, which ideally you should never need to change. Perhaps it got flipped my mistake? It can't hurt to try. If this unit is in a rack and not accessible, this probably isn't a problem.

It could also be a loose cable, but that can be difficult to nail down with the cables inline. For testing loose cables or pins, it's best to get a cable tester involved. There are a wide range of cable testers including devices sold as cable testers to using a multi-meter and justin using the ohms test with tone to test it out.

I typically power my console up first, then the fixtures, but when that doesn't happen, it's typically the stage being wired up and powered up and then with the console or MyDMX dongle ready to go, DMX is connected there. Never had any problems related to order of power up.

Jingles is big on recommending the Opt-Branch4 right now. I'm going to be buying one soon myself. Just sounds like flat out good practice to me. I doubt you are using them.

Try the switch. If need be, even if with microphone cable, test each cable and ensure a 1:1 relationship on all 3 pins on each cable. But, I'd recommend the investment in DMX cable, which won't be that expensive. Also, take apart that DMX terminator and ensure it is in fact a DMX terminator and not someone who just crammed a plug into an outlet.

Also, test fixtures one at a time direct to the DMX Operator. You might as well ensure that if this is your new job, you know it inside and out. That's why I only use my own gear, I can always feel comfortable knowing tht whatever the problem is, I am in control(or at least given the impression that I am in control).

Another thing to look at is the Fade Time slider. Maybe move it down, which I think will speed up how long it takes to change scene or your changes. This might be it as well.
I hope you find the source of the problem.

In the entertainment world, just like everything else, if we fail to plan, we plan to fail. Since you're walking in new, it's time to "own" this project. Once you've done this, you'll know what needs to be done and that in the end it will be working as expected, which also means additions should work as well.

Best of luck!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.