Skip to main content

I am running 2 DJ scan 250's along with 2 old Motorhead II's with a DMX 40 controller which is identical to an ADJ Operator.

The problem is, when programming I set the DJ scan to a position, but then it jumps around, changes colors and gobos and then goes back to where it was.....it will do this even while running the program.

I am using a DMX terminator....is this a polarity problem? Do I need to be using polarity changing cords?

Any Ideas?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I am also having the same problem with the DJ Scan 250 performing erratic movements. It only happens when I use them to spot areas of the stage. When they are performing chases they are fine. Maybe support can give us some answers to the problem since several people are expiriencing the same thing.

Will S.
signal for DMX is send in on pins 2 & 3 of a XLR connector, depending on the fixture sometimes pin 2 is high and pin 3 is low, sometimes it's reversed.....most DMX controllers have a polarity switch so you can change polarity that way....in other words switch which pin is getting the high and low signal.

Where you run into a problem is when you start mixing fixtures with different polarity which is what I think may be happening here, I am just waiting for someone from support to confirm this.

If this is the case, you can use a polarity changing cable....in other words one end would have high on pin 2 and low on #3 and the other end would be the opposite.

So in my case I would need to come out of my first motorhead into the first DJ scan with a polarity reverse cable then out of the DJ scan into my DMX dimmer with another polarity changing cable....then out of that into the next DJ scan with a polarity reverse cable the out of that into the other motorhead with a polarity reverse cable.

If I am wrong somebody feel free to jump in and correct me!
It's my understanding that you only need reversed cables between fixtures/controllers that are of different polarity. Check the pin-out diagrams of all the fixtures. In my case, I go from a DMX-50 (phase reversed via switch on the back) to R0B0Scan 1 (standard cable), to R0b0scan 2 (standard cable), to DJScan 250 1 (reversed cable) to DJScan 250 2 (standard cable), and then a terminator. All the cables are 20 feet, and fairly cheap. I wonder if that has anything to do with it.
well I checked the pinout on everything I am using and they are all the same.....#2=- & #3=+

so polarity isn't my problem.....it's really frustrating....IT would be nice if someone from support would chime in.....cause it doesnt look like this is an isolated problem to just my setup. Confused
Tim,
Sorry that no one from the support department has been on the boards to help you. The personel in the support department don't come by very often. Give a call to 800 322 6337 and ask for technical support, they should be able to help.

PS. I was going to close this topic, but I will leave it open in case anyone here has run into a similiar problem, and has a solution for you. But your best bet is to call support.
Tim,
Call, ask for Joey. Tell him I sent you. Tell him you have tried to resolve this through the forum, with no satisfaction. And let him know I promised you that he would get you in touch with the right people.......

This is my rep on the line, and I know where Joey lives, so he will make this right....lol. Really he's probably you're best contact at this point. Just remember the best time to call is probably right after 9am PST
Ok. I talked to support, and did a little more testing on my own.

First I took the R0B0Scans out of the picture (to eliminate a polarity problem), by connecting the DJScan 250's directly to the controller. They still twitched.

Second, using a different cable, I connected each DJScan 250 directly to the controller. Each of them twitched seperately.

Third, I connected the 2 DJScan's together in master/slave mode (no controller). They were fine.

Fourth, I reconnected the R0b0scans back (to my original config), hit a scene in the controller and unplugged the XLR cable from the controller. Everything was fine. (no erratic behavior from the DJScans.

So, it seems the problem is in the controller, even though the other 2 fixtures are fine.

Guess I'll see you on the C-h-a-u-v-e-t forums Smiler .

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.