Skip to main content

I know that the DJ Scans are not intended to be a very expensive light, but why do they have to be so jumpy?

I was thinking, and I know that the mirror motor assemblies are replaceable in the event you break one, and the parts are easy to order. Is there another light with a smoother motor similar enough to the DJ Scan that you could swap out the mirror assemblies? I know it might be more trouble then its worth, but I've got some time and just like to mess around with these lights, and it doesn't look like it would be a hard job to swap out a motor since everything is plugged in via connectors and such.
Original Post
It's more than what you think is going on under the surface.

There are multiple types of motors. Using something with a finer degree of stepping gives better control, smoother motion(less jumping), but it comes at added cost.

Swapping the motor for a microstepping motor won't necessarily resolve your problems and may cause a negative performance hit on your movement range and DMX functionality.

Motor and mirror assemblies may be replaceable but are intended for a like for like replacement. It's generaly not wise to start swapping out mismatched parts. There are other issues such as voltage and signalling.

Makers put certain motors in for a reason. It's best to stick with those.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.