Skip to main content

After sending AA my TSi file for Traktor Pro it seems that they are going to have an actual TECH check out the MIDI drivers. The signal that comes from the VMS4 (Audio) may not be in SYNC and can therefore cause DISTORTIONS in play back, and recording. It has nothing to do with mapping, or how you set up your VMS4 it has to do with the DRIVERS. SO i would say after Weds which is when i was told that they will contact me again about the issue, we can expect 1 of 2 things... A new Firmware update for sure, or a RECALL! Lets hope for the latter. Will let you know what happens next week! SO if your having trouble with Broadcasting, Recording, or Playback Distortions you really need to pay attention to this post!

I was also told that the Sample rate is what seems to be the real problem and that it seems to be out of sync as well.

As you might expect, Core Audio handles audio data in a digital format. Most Core Audio constructs manipulate audio data in linear pulse-code-modulated (linear PCM) format, which is the most common uncompressed data format for digital audio. Pulse code modulation relies on measuring an audio signal's magnitude at regular intervals (the sampling rate) and converting each sample into a numerical value. This value varies linearly with the signal amplitude. For example, standard CD audio has a sampling rate of 44.1 kHz and uses 16 bits to represent the signal amplitude (65,536 possible values). Core Audio’s data structures can describe linear PCM at any sample rate and bit depth, supporting both integer and floating-point sample values.

Core Audio generally expects audio data to be in native-endian 32-bit floating-point linear PCM format. However, you can create audio converters to translate audio data between different linear PCM variants. You also use these converters to translate between linear PCM and compressed audio formats such as MP3 and Apple Lossless. In other words if the Sample rate is off or not in sync you get this from your VMS4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHpCIzi87u8 That is a digital audio sample rate out of sync basically. Anyone else do any recordings yet on a Mac? It sounds like the same track going out of phase with distortion layered on top of them.
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hello Aziz,

I have tested the VMS4 on the MAC and duplicated this issue

In previous testing we found an issue with newer MAC OSs 10.5.8 and higher where the audio gets out of sync at 44.1kHz. For the output audio, we resolved this by setting the audio for adaptive mode instead of synchronous.

Now the problem is for some strange reason the MAC won't work with this change on the input audio.

All of the distortion issues go away when I set the output audio for 48kHz. Please try updating your unit with the attached firmware.

I'll talk with the guys at ADJ see if we want to make this a permanent change to the VMS4 firmware. The problem is the Windows driver we did is for 44.1kHz so for now only do the update if you have this issue with a MAC computer.

Attachments

FINALLY! Someone listened and responded. Problem solved. Thank you Elliot your the man, and now i can finish my mapping and start my video layouts for the web of this VMS4. I have been using AA products for 8 years and have told everyone of the quality and durability. So now i won't be made a liar. Thank you for your help and now I can get back to work.

Cheers to AA and special thanks to Elliot Marx... The guy who did the VMS4 Audio.
i did the firmware update and i get 3.12 with the leds so everything is fine, but i still get distortion when i try to record with audiohighjack pro in a mac platform.
can you please post the exact settings for traktor and vms4 for the recording to work properly as you mention?
my audio latency in traktor is 8.0ms and use traktor in external mode.

thank you
quote:
Originally posted by naysiploos:
i did the firmware update and i get 3.12 with the leds so everything is fine, but i still get distortion when i try to record with audiohighjack pro in a mac platform.
can you please post the exact settings for traktor and vms4 for the recording to work properly as you mention?
my audio latency in traktor is 8.0ms and use traktor in external mode.

thank you

Most likely you are getting distortion because you are boosting the audio signal too high. Please reduce the signal level.
quote:
Originally posted by naysiploos:
you are exactly right emarx!
i kept the signal below 0 in the led indicator and i got no distortion. the recording is low on volume but it can easily be fixed in soundbooth or any other software by normalizing the track's volume!!!

Glad I could help!

Elliot
i had that problem to but when i switched to Post Eq mode was able to get more gain and volume in Traktor on my mac and no distortion. Only thing with post Eq mode you have to set it everytime VMS4 will return to default everytime you turn it off. So to avoid 2 eq's being turned on it's a must remember.
quote:
Originally posted by azizhousecallz:
i had that problem to but when i switched to Post Eq mode was able to get more gain and volume in Traktor on my mac and no distortion. Only thing with post Eq mode you have to set it everytime VMS4 will return to default everytime you turn it off. So to avoid 2 eq's being turned on it's a must remember.

Nope on the VMS4 once you set the post EQ mode it remembers this setting.
Hey there,

is there a (beta) firmware update for the VMS2 too?

Having exactly the same problems with crackling sound parts like described above but only in recorded mixes. Not to hear at live mixing but afterwards when checking the mix.
Otherwise everything's fine...

Thanx a lot

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.