Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Something to keep in mind is this chart is a guide line and no where near 100% accurate. You will most likely have to tweak from the values they give you to start with, so don't be put off if the chart isn't correct. For example, the show I am working on now I have a bunch of Opti Tri Pars and was color matching them to R67 which is Light Sky Blue. I can tell you right now, my mix to match it had a slight hint of red in it to cut the saturation down because it was too cyan and not really a light blue with a hue of green in it.

This photo is a ParNel with R80 in it. Note the faces of the LEDs, no red or green LEDs visible despite each one matching almost perfectly color wise. This is also with blue at 255 on each fixture:

Then of course, the infamous LED white:
I can concede that you're probably right, but not to sound nasty, I don't really mind that it may not be a perfect match.

I'm out of ideas for colors, so if someone wants to take a little of that thinking off of me, then hey, I'm all for it, I'm busy with other things anyways.

At the same time, recall a recent thread I started somewhere with LED inconsistency. So, getting a "perfect match" may also be an issue.

I won't argue matching up LED's to known gel standards using bulbs that use a standard color temperature as well(and hence work better with the gels as a result). It's absolutely necessary.

At the same point, on shows I'm working with, I don't have the time to set up my lights and match up, as well as lacking the proper experience and knowledge to know how to adjust properly to match things up. I gotta set them up and go.

In my case, close works. With the RGB values, this sure is a helpful bit of advice.
Actually I saw that as well. But I thought I saw it on the TRI-LED series. For example the FLAT PAR TRI18, or the FLAT PAR TRI7. Because honest to say I did try that chart but results were kinda sketchy to say the least. Maybe because I tried it on American DJ Mega Pixel LEDs. But hey what do I know. I am just some bedroom lighting tech/DJ.
Hello I am new to the board and semi new to DMX lighting. I was hoping someone can help me out I am trying to find the DMX values for a Dark purple color and a Dark pink color using ADJ Mega Par profiles. I have a Mardi Gras party and a All Pink 40th Birthday coming up and I am trying to achieve the right colors for this event. Thanks in advance, If i can help on any other topic such as Serato, 57SL, Mix Emergency or video mixing just drop me a line.
Well for pinks and purples those colors will always use red and blue at different intensities. I don't have any color charts that have values for those but if you download the micro wash pdf user manual there is a color chart in there to help you mix some colors. But for pink and purple you will just have to plat around with the blue and red channels also try adding a little bit of green to help make the color. But to really get a nice dark purple and pink you proably need a fixture with RGBW or RGBA. The W is White the A is amber. The combination of these two colors on a led unit provide a much much more versatile fixture in color mixing. Hope this helps.
Sincerely,
2 AM bored listening to The Killers Greatest Hits so I figured I would pop in Big Grin.

Anyway, a dark purple will have blue at full and just a touch of red. The shade of blue LED you have will be the limiting factor in the darkness of the purple (regular or royal). As for a dark pink, that will be a combination of red and blue, most likely more red than blue. So I would start with red all the way up and add blue till you get what you want. If find the hue of purple and/or pink you want but it is a little too dark, add a bit of green in to lighten it up.

As for white and amber LEDs, they only really help in making pastel colors (pale pinks and purples, light lavenders, ambers, and blues) and a 'true' white. The white LED generally helps more than the amber one unless you are looking for a specific orange or amber. Green and red LEDs get to a point which they almost seem to snap from amber to yellow. The amber LED helps with that.

What I generally use LEDs for (backdrops, overhead lighting, back lighting, effect lighting), I generally can't get enough saturation so even fixtures with white and amber LEDs in them, I almost never use them. So I wouldn't be too concerned about not having white and/or amber LEDs, especially since you are looking for high saturation like me.
Thanks for the info, I have been playing around with my traditional DMX controller and a Obey 4 all night going back and fourth. The small problem that I have now is that I own 10 Eteranl Lighting Flat Par Pros(RGBA) and 10 ADJ, Mega Par Pro. The only colors that I can get to match is the red and green anything after that there is a noticeable difference. I wish i would have bought 10 more ADJ mega par pros. Not just becuase this is a ADJ website the colors are alot darker and richer, and the when shined on a wall or ceiling the projection is alo tighter than the Flat Par Pro. I am going to put these FlatPar Pros in Ebay immediately and go wih the ADJs. I wonder if I can purchase a 10 pack package. Thanks again for your help.
There are plenty of online resources to establish what RGB colour mixes to use for the colours that you are trying to achieve.
One of which is at :- http://www.rapidtables.com/web/color/RGB_Color.htm
These all of course assume that the Red, Green and Blue capabilities of both your pc monitor and your light fittings are perfect, which is invariably not the case, however, if you start with the correct settings first, it is far easier to make small adjustments to het the colours that you want.
There's a couple other places that list rgb values to produce a color. There's also CMY if you need that. But the output will ALWAYS need some user adjustment because the lamp/diode will not be 100% dead on, the surrounding colors will impact what you see, etc. It's a guide, not a law. Remember the whole reason for having CONTROL is because YOU are in control of the lights, not the other way around.
@Former Member posted:
2 AM bored listening to The Killers Greatest Hits so I figured I would pop in Big Grin.

Anyway, a dark purple will have blue at full and just a touch of red. The shade of blue LED you have will be the limiting factor in the darkness of the purple (regular or royal). As for a dark pink, that will be a combination of red and blue, most likely more red than blue. So I would start with red all the way up and add blue till you get what you want. If find the hue of purple and/or pink you want but it is a little too dark, add a bit of green in to lighten it up.

As for white and amber LEDs, they only really help in making pastel colors (pale pinks and merch purples, light lavenders, ambers, and blues) and a 'true' white. The white LED generally helps more than the amber one unless you are looking for a specific fortnite orange or amber. Green and red LEDs get to a point which they almost seem to snap from amber to yellow. The amber LED helps with that.

What I generally use LEDs for (backdrops, overhead lighting, back lighting, effect lighting), I generally can't get enough saturation so even fixtures with white and amber LEDs in them, I almost never use them. So I wouldn't be too concerned about not having white and/or amber LEDs, especially since you are looking for high saturation like me.

Ya that is kinda what happens when you try to mix and match different manufacturers products into a single show.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.