Skip to main content

I just bought two CDI-500�s thinking it was an upgrade to the PS2. Man!! Was I DISAPPOINTED! They are both supposed to have �Digital Scratching 2.0 (Accurate Scratching)� but when scratching, the CDI�s sound like a Mickey Mouse Play TOY compared to the PS2. �I want my money back!!!
I called Support to see if there was some upgrade I was missing. But to my dismay, I was informed that the two players have different manufacturers! �That�s Not Cool!!!
At my gigs the PS2's fooled the Vinyl Heads, now, with CDI's, my cover is blown! DanG! Frowner
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

i know the feeling bro. i had the proscratch 1's a couple years ago and the scratch on that sounded better, even though it didnt have touch sensitive wheel. i was a little disapointed when i got my cdi's also but i guess i'm gonna have to live with it for a couple years. AA needs an update or something to improve the scratch sound. i'm happy with the other features. i bought these because of the visual marker. i should have done more research than what i had done but no one around here has them on display to demo it. so i guess i'm stuck now.
Guys... I am not sure if you guys are even using the SAME CDI 500 that i have been using. But the ones i have are extremely accurate on the scratching, and nobody can even tell the difference between Vinyl, and CD.

Check out this video of me scratching on the CDI 500, and tell me what you think? And also it's important that you tell me if your CDI 500 sounds like the CDI 500 that i've been using in this video Clip.

Please let me know so that we can found out what seems to be the problem that you guys are having with the CDI 500...

SCRATCHING ON THE CDI 500 VIDEO CLIP
Whattup Skilz & all Peeps,-Mad Respect!!
That's what I'm saying! Mine (2 days old) don't sound like the video. So I figured, maybe the video was doctored(-just sayin' tho). So, I put the CDI and PS2 side-by-side. I then took a store-bought CD and found a kick-drum hit to cut in the CDI, took the same disc out & put it in the PS2, found the same place & cut it. There was a world of difference. My CDI's have Digital Scratching 0.2 instead of 2.0.
They sound like a T@sc@m CD-302. Some high pitch electronic sound, that changes with the scratch, contaminates, almost drowns out, the actual scratch signal/sound. It sounds just like those other B.S. decks made in the begining of CD Scratching.

Can a Brother get a firmware upgrade?!?! -DanG! Confused
quote:
Originally posted by James:

[qb] dude, you must be trippin. PS1s aren't even close a sound quality as the CDIs. I gotta post a vid too. [/qb]
maybe i should have said sounds the same. but back then i didnt use the scratch that often.... Roll Eyes and when i did use it, i left it in pause mode when scratchin. maybe i've just been spoiled by the 5k's quality since i had the ps1's. the cdi's sound good on certain samples and scractches but definitely sounds digital. not like the video.
quote:
Originally posted by chaseboogie:
[qb]
That's what I'm saying! Mine (2 days old) don't sound like the video. So I figured, maybe the video was doctored(-just sayin' tho). [/qb]
chaseboogie

Even though your (just sayin) Why on earth do you think i would want to go ahead and try to modify that video? The truth is that if the scratching on your CDI 500 does not sound like what you saw in the video then you seriously need to return them.. you do have a 2 year warranty on all ADJ products. All CDI 500's should sound just like on that video. Thanks.
DJ Skilz, ...Cuzin, Mad Respect & Love to you Man.

But you got to admit that the Wopper sandwich you see on TV ain't gonna look like the one they throw at you in the Drive-thru. Ya can't always believe what you see on TV. -Momma told us that! Remember?!

BUT, My main point was that I did a little troubleshooting before hollerin' foul, that's all. No Disrespect, Bruh!

I will send them back.
Thanks everybody. For a minute I thought I just got GOT.

Peace-out. Wink
quote:
[qb] DJ Skilz, ...Cuzin, Mad Respect & Love to you Man.

But you got to admit that the Wopper sandwich you see on TV ain't gonna look like the one they throw at you in the Drive-thru. Ya can't always believe what you see on TV. -Momma told us that! Remember?!

BUT, My main point was that I did a little troubleshooting before hollerin' foul, that's all. No Disrespect, Bruh!

I will send them back.
Thanks everybody. For a minute I thought I just got GOT.

Peace-out. Wink [/qb]
Chase..

IT's all good man. I know what you mean about the whoppers, and burgers and stuff, but yet again this is a CDI 500 cd player that i showed you in the video, and i don't think the size, or the condition of the unit will ever change from TV, or in Person. I seriously showed on the video how the CDI 500 is suppose to sound like, and i just wanted to get my point across " TO EVERYBODY ON THIS FORUM " that if you own a CDI 500, and it does not sound like what you heard in the video, then i suggest you return it back for an exchange cause you actually might have a faulty unit. Thats all i am suggesting. There is no way i am trying to spill bad blood here with anybody, i got respect for everybody here, and i believe everybody has the right to be heard, and give their opinions on any topic. All i am trying to say on my end is " Maybe double check the unit, and see if maybe it was something else causing the problem ".

With Respect
Skilz
quote:
[qb]Ya can't always believe what you see on TV. -Momma told us that! Remember?![/qb]
Yeah but this is the internet, so you can believe it right? Razzer

You're right though, you can't believe the camera, 'cause it looks like it added 10lbs. to the CDI's Big Grin

BTW, my CDI's don't sound like that either, neither do me REAL 1200's or HTD 4.5, or my PS2's, or anything else I try to scratch on.....why????? you ask, because no matter what I do I never sound that good. Frowner
Yea, Skilz is nice on the Wheels of Steel, & Plastic.

But the video thing is just a side issue Cuzin!

Let me Summarize:
I love my ProScratch 2's, except when they are overheating. I saw that the CDI-500's was upgrade with the same advertised Digital Scratch 2.0, so I bought a couple.

Tried my new CDI-500's next to my PS2's, and the two CDI's BOTH did not Scratch as Realistic , as my OWN PS2's, even though they are advertised to have the same identical feature.

I was upset because when I called tech support, they said that the CDI's will not sound like the PS2's scratching because they were actually made by another manufacturer.

Got it?!
Skilz clarified the issue, & they are on their way back to Cali.

So I don't know if you're trying to Dis or what Stevie. Either way is cool, just make sure you spell my name right. DJ ChaseBoogie
cdi-500 or pro scratch 2? what one should i get.....simple, my main uses is hard trance mixing, bedroom banging an making demos with my htd 4.5 and cd players so i would prefur a tabletop desighn, but wouldnt MIND the funnctionaloty of slot-in for cd's, now i like the special fx that come with the cdi, although i havnt actualy HEARD them for myself...im, pretty hard pressed trying to find a video clip on here showing off its otehr feature (other that scratch) in my opinion it is getting tiresome, looking around for a play that will last me a while without breaking, just like anny other consumer i dont want to be sending them off to the god damn repair center evry 3 months till the day something newer is released...this is getting pretty long...lol...but if someone can put a video of this players sound fx and looping "facilitation" (love that word) aka could mr skillz himself do it since he does have an exxxxxxxxessive ammount of skill after all it was him and his "skill" that made me buy my HTD decks and he doesnt bul-shnizit about the quality.....bloody heavyer deck than technics!! i LOVE it!!

thankz
-=NiTRO=-
Nitro.. There is a Demonstration i did on effects, and looping that i did on Video with the DCD 1000.. it would be no different then the CDI 500 if you take a look at the Short Video Demo.. I'll have Brian ( BRIAN ADJ ) hook that up in this forum some how for everybody to view.
quote:
[qb]So I don't know if you're trying to Dis or what Stevie. Either way is cool, just make sure you spell my name right. DJ ChaseBoogie [/qb]
DJ Chase Boogie,
I don't diss anyone, I was dissing my own Skills. I admit, I suck. And I didn't mispell your name. When you do a "quote" it automatatically puts in the persons username you are quoting. No disrespect intended.
I know Stevie meant no disrespect.

Believe me, I've heard him scratch. He's poking fun at himself. Big Grin Although, I'm no prize winner myself. Frowner

My only words are: You have to find equipment that works right for you. If you're not happy, bring it back, try something else. Ultimately, you have to live & work with it. You should be happy with your gear.

I'm sure ADJ will clear this matter up. Their customer support is great, and if Skilz is on the case....look out! (it's a good thing) Big Grin
Aiight ya'll.

My bad: I guess I'm just in a bad mood over my decks. Mad

But I promise to chill & be easy.
...but yo, really tho, I don't wanna go back to lugging all them dang records with one song on each of them. I can consolidate shiznay on CD's, & even record & play my own remixes & spots. -ya'll know!!

Ain't it cool to scratch your own DJ name:
Dee-jigga-Jay-Chase-Bu-Boogie!

I ain't bigtime like a few of ya'll & can spend a couple G's for a dubplate.

-Besides that, Man - I was already burnt once with those Dang CD-302's. Make it so bad, I got it as soon as it came out, and dropped a G & some change on it. Double DanG!!

-Now I thought I made out like a bandit when I got my PS2's. I peeped those CDJ's but they cost too much, and you have to press down on the platter. -that wasn't cool. So I thought I had the hook-up: realistic scratching, sampler, the echo is the bomb! Until one Gig when those mutha-** embarrassed me with that over-heating shiznay. -Yo!, I got clowned!!! Big Grin Yo, I'm laughing now, but that shiznay was NOT cool.

-So naturally I thought the CDI's was the answer to a broke-azz DJ's dreams, and my last resort before going back to the Wheels of Steel, & records that weigh like that.

-Aiight, I'm done whining like a Beyahtch.
Well, I hope something good comes out of this. DaMan told me to call him, so I must be in trouble. -DanG!! Roll Eyes
yo Chaseboogie that was a very colorful post you dropped on us there, I had to read it about 3 times to sort of understand what you were on about, but its all good man.

I feel your pain on the dissatisfaction you feel with your ADJ purchase. Believe me I went through the same annoying process as you did only to learn I could of saved that money and bought a different brand.

My basic criteria for a good deck was reliability and performance. ADJ failed in both of those. I basically traded up to a different manufacturer, one that I am EXTREMELY happy with coming from a vinyl/Techn1cs background. (If you wanna know more, send me a private message).

The lesson I learned from this is that ADJ make good value decks but they are not the best! Generally speaking you basically get what you pay for. Good luck man.

ROQ out.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.