Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

There is no straight answer to this question.

All latency seconds depend on individual configs of any laptop. I run a W7/64 on a Sony FW41ZJ with 6 GB of RAM on 6 ms and a brand new Vaio Z model (W7/64 6 GB) with 12 ms to get the same performance. Both clean DJ only installs with all useless software put off with MSConfig, no wireless, bluetooth and anti virus on and so one.
quote:
Originally posted by Rynaldo:
There is no straight answer to this question.

All latency seconds depend on individual configs of any laptop. I run a W7/64 on a Sony FW41ZJ with 6 GB of RAM on 6 ms and a brand new Vaio Z model (W7/64 6 GB) with 12 ms to get the same performance. Both clean DJ only installs with all useless software put off with MSConfig, no wireless, bluetooth and anti virus on and so one.

rynaldo thanks, but I knew it depended on the laptop,, so had put my specifications, another thing that is happening is a problem with the eq, if nothing else the use of VMS4 is little aggressive but if you use the of traktor is very aggressive (IN POST MIXER MODE) and I have when I mix two mp3 or wav,, distortions when increase the bass of one of the two,,the cuality of sound is good but i think,lacks power to VMS4 and so I distorts the sound, can this be true? THNX
All this testing is very good for us now.

Just took two identical laptops here en put an XLR patchbox in between my Xone 4D and the VMS4 and my monitors (M-Audio BX8a's and a set of Event Opals). Did it also with the RCA outputs with a different patchbox.

Identical TP settings on EQ and all other prefs (I have two identical laptops just for TP) and two identical songs (MP3 320 kbs)

Brrrrr the distortion on the VMS4 is terrible with RCA output, Low EQ (+10) just shakes the room with huge distortion and High EQ (+10) makes it sound like a 2 euro walkman form the 80's. Final judgement, not usable for live performances with RCA, only for simple playing around at home with low volume.

The XLR Master output is much much better. Good sound, good volume (much more gain on output then the RCA) and better headroom. Good EQ usage and no distortion at all.

So, there is something wrong with the design on the EQ and master output section giver the huge differences? Not sure. It is also highly sensitive to even small gain corrections on the channels and the master. Even a small change can bring the distortion up to huge levels. It also brings a pragmatic live usage issue. Most digital dj's enter at a gig where a standard Pio 800/1000 or nowadays a 800/2000 set-up exists and plug in on a channel of the DJM. In luxury situations the even have patchbox in between. However, this is all RCA based and (off course) not master output XLR based. It will be hard to find a gig where a XLR master out patchbox exist, with a technician balancing the new equip in the gig soundsystem.

Is there a solution. Yes. Use an XLR -> RCA cable, or an Alva Suzy cable adaptor box in between. The RCA output is of no use.
Last edited by Former Member
quote:
Originally posted by Rynaldo:
All this testing is very good for us now.

Just took two identical laptops here en put an XLR patchbox in between my Xone 4D and the VMS4 and my monitors (M-Audio BX8a's and a set of Event Opals). Did it also with the RCA outputs with a different patchbox.

Identical TP settings on EQ and all other prefs (I have two identical laptops just for TP) and two identical songs (MP3 320 kbs)

Brrrrr the distortion on the VMS4 is terrible with RCA output, Low EQ (+10) just shakes the room with huge distortion and High EQ (+10) makes it sound like a 2 euro walkman form the 80's. Final judgement, not usable for live performances with RCA, only for simple playing around at home with low volume.

The XLR Master output is much much better. Good sound, good volume (much more gain on output then the RCA) and better headroom. Good EQ usage and no distortion at all.

So, there is something wrong with the design on the EQ and master output section giver the huge differences? Not sure. It is also highly sensitive to even small gain corrections on the channels and the master. Even a small change can bring the distortion up to huge levels. It also brings a pragmatic live usage issue. Most digital dj's enter at a gig where a standard Pio 800/1000 or nowadays a 800/2000 set-up exists and plug in on a channel of the DJM. In luxury situations the even have patchbox in between. However, this is all RCA based and (off course) not master output XLR based. It will be hard to find a gig where a XLR master out patchbox exist, with a technician balancing the new equip in the gig soundsystem.

Is there a solution. Yes. Use an XLR -> RCA cable, or an Alva Suzy cable adaptor box in between. The RCA output is of no use.

false! I have the same problem with RCA and XLR! ,, Draw the same power and quality, and the adapters I've tried counseling and I have exactly the same problem low volume and distortion in the EQ low when I mix two tracks
Solution - back off the channel gains, and increase the master output.

I've found that if I set the channel gains to read 0dB with EQs flat, then master out also to 0dB, increasing the EQs causes compression and distortion.

BUT - if I set the channel gains lower than 0dB, and increase the master volume, then I can happily use lots of EQ without the master overloading.

It's odd, but it's true.

I have now demonstrated this live to Simon from AA (UK) and he agrees. He will be reporting it back to AA to see if it can be fixed.
Nope this is something that can't be "fixed".

The VMS4 is designed for optimal sound with the Gain, EQs, and Master set in the middle. With a typical line level source, if you go much higher than that you will get distortion. The idea is if you have a line level source that isn't as beefy there's some headroom to go higher if you need it.

The optimal sound also happens when the VU meter runs close to the 0 mark and if you try to go much higher than the +4 you'll start to hear distortion. If we set up the VMS4 to not even distort at +10 then the VU meters would be useless.

Please next time also comment to relevant posts. I don't know what any of this has to do with audio latency.
quote:
Originally posted by emarx:
The VMS4 is designed for optimal sound with the Gain, EQs, and Master set in the middle.

Then why does the gain need reducing below 0dB in order to get rid of the distortion?

quote:
The optimal sound also happens when the VU meter runs close to the 0 mark

Then why does the VMS4 manual state that everything should be set to run at +4dB?

quote:
Please next time also comment to relevant posts

My reply was relevant. I was addressing his issue with distortion.
quote:
Originally posted by GroovinDJ:
quote:
The VMS4 is designed for optimal sound with the Gain, EQs, and Master set in the middle.

Then why does the gain need reducing below 0dB in order to get rid of the distortion?

Could be the laptop source gain is high. This is just an optimized setting based on everything including input audio set at 0dB.

quote:

Then why does the VMS4 manual state that everything should be set to run at +4dB?

Close to the 0dB mark and not much higher is +4dB. I personally think it's better to keep there because there's always a tendency to push higher. If you can set and leave the audio at +4dB you should be fine.

quote:

Unfortunately this discussion will get buried because the title says "Audio latency". Rynaldo please next time start a new thread when the topic changes.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by GroovinDJ:
quote:

Could be the laptop source gain is high. This is just an optimized setting based on everything including input audio set at 0dB.

quote:

Close to the 0dB mark and not much higher is +4dB. I personally think it's better to keep there because there's always a tendency to push higher. If you can set and leave the audio at +4dB you should be fine.

quote:

Unfortunately this discussion will get buried because the title says "Audio latency". Rynaldo please next time start a new thread when the topic changes.

is true that the post is called latency audio, but also ask other questions in the same post,,, the discursion ithas been gone the other way,,, if necessary, to do another post, sorry

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.