Skip to main content

I've been in the nightclub thing 9 1/2 months. Bought all new lights (ADJ). Had a DJ SPOT fail opened it up, a red power wire that is screwed into a conecting block shorted out melting part of the block.Bought a ACCU SPOT II to replace it. It lasted 6 months, opened it up the motor shaft that drives the belt snapped! Had a SUNRAY III last one month it quit turning motor failed. What's up, is it just me, or just BAD DESIGNS! Now NEW LED PRODUCTS failing too!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

How are you mounting this stuff? Are to ensuring you have adequate ventilation? Are you runnig fixtures all night that have duty cycles?

Do you have bad power? Weak power? Are you overloading breakers?

It makes a difference, although the LED one is confusing. My thoughts: your power sucks. Investigate that, measure the load under stress and see where it's at. Not to name brands, but get a good Furman power conditioner and unit that will show voltage and draw and put them where you can monitor it.

I'm not immune to problems. I had a stinky fog machine they swapped out under warranty. I had a motor on a fixture fail. I had a bulb break. But fail? No, not yet.

I don't want to point fingers until I have more information.
I mount all my fixtures with plenty of ventilation space. Breakers don't trip. Sounds like good idea to check power under load. Just one more freakin thing to do - not enough time in a day.How would I check power under load when I have lights fixtures plug in everywhere? Service under warranty sounds great, but what a hassle. To package five different fixtures up and send out, when I don't save original boxes (my fault that will teach me).Not sure what to do. Thinking about scrapping all ADJ's, sending back 2 ACCU SPOT PROs canceling my order for 2 MYSTIC LEDs, and buying all new MARTIN's... PULLING MY HAIR OUT!!!
Well, for me, I made a break-out cable that is basically I think 8-gauge cable. The set of wires is not in the common jacket and I use that to test under a load. I use one of those clamp-on ammeters to measure.

Also, try to route your lights into a single source of power or at least per circuit, so you can test what your load is.

Trust me, I work 20 hour days, 7 days a week, 365 days a year, and on top of that... no, i'm not going to bore you with details.

You're running a business, act like it. Save your boxes. I think you got some power issues, and it sure as heck can't hurt to have some surge protection on those lighting circuits. I get stuff done. I don't work in an excuse-oriented environment.

Whether you keep your fixtures or change them is your issue. You can upgrade to Martins and and have more expensive fixtures toasted. Test your power. Get a whole-building surge protector and ensure you have a nice stiff power supply. Personally, I find the power in most clubs sucks worse than a blackhole. I don't expect yours to be any different. I take measures to ensure I can get the best I can from what's there since I know the club owner won't spend a cent on electrical, much less an electrician. Honestly, I don't care, I just isolate from their power as much as possible and protect my gear.

One club I went to has had the same bank of circuits at 95 volts for 15 years. He won't fix it. I won't work there. Got tired of his choice of every suck band in a 300 mile radius calling his club home. Yeah, maybe some day one guy will take a music lesson.
Thanks Chris sometimes I need a kick in the a.. Been reading the forums about DMX Operator 192 I think it cleared up some issues I was having with new Accu Spot Pros. I'm under a lot of stress as I'm coming up on some jail time I have to do, up to a year and I don't want everything falling apart while I'm locked down. As nobody knows half of what I do and I know very little but learning more everyday! Thanks Again JR
All purchases I make are business decisions. When you've spent a quarter million bucks on gear in a lifetime so far(and it's not a long one yet), you have to think many steps ahead.

Using the DMX Operator 192, you can program scenes and chases. I am working on "documentation sheets", which, if printed and placed in a binder, can provide a somewhat quick and easy reference for people to use. You might have to make a "crash course for the DMX Operator 192" for whoever is going to be taking over for you during your period of being inconvenienced by "the man".

As in my case, I am the only one who knows anything since my crew refuses to remember anything from one show to the next. My video guy doesn't know how to run a multi-camera system. My lighting person refuses to make a real effort. My other crew people spend more time goofing off than working. I mean, come on, it only takes 5 minutes to wheel 2 subs on a wheel base 150 feet and then return to get the next, and that's assuming dragging a dead body as well. When I do it, it's like a minute and a half max. Roll it, park it, return for the next pair on it's own wheel base.

So, make whatever business decisions you need to make.

One thing to note about LED fixtures, or really any fixture: The parts for most of these are made in the millions, sometimes tens of millions. Eletronic components, chips, LED's. It's impossible to quality control them all, because then it comes down to an individual thing. Then it becomes impractical and expensive.

Trust me, I know stress. I'm not in your type of situation, but the show must go on. I get the lovely ones like "Oh, and you have a big show tomorrow, I forgot to tell you we contracted for it 6 months ago. Let's get it done." or trying to force a 2 day job into a couple of hours. Or how about having restricted access to a vehicle(1 car) and then having the other person running late, and then I can't get my other business stuff done?

Check your power, check your lighting. Remember, don't put DMX/intel fixtures on dimmer and switcher packs. I doubt that's a problem. I bet your power is. Most clubs have bad power, as do restaurants. Breakers do wear out. You don't know what your wiring is line in the walls, and sometimes it can fail as well. Get an electrician in there.

In the meantime, ADJ does have that 1-year warranty. Have someone box up your bad units or if it's been less than 30 days, maybe the store will take them back. Always save your boxes for at least 30 days, minimum. If it fails, you have a shipping container.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.