Skip to main content

Hello all, first off let me say I am new to the whole DMX-LED scene. I play in a band and have used regular par cans for years. recently I decided to buy all LED cans, 8 par 64 for the front (four per side) mounted on trees and 8 par 56 mounted on a back truss with an Elation magic 260 controller. I want to be able to controll scanners in the near future. my ultamate goal is to be able to run two movable head fixtures in the front and four scanners mounted on the back truss useing a midi foot controll. we play every weekend and some of the clubs are small, so the lights are pretty close to us. what I am trying to do is use the moveable head fixtures as actual spot lights for solos, and the scanners as eye candy. that being said do you think the ADJ spot 250's beam might not be large enough for this, and also I was thinking of straping them down to the top of the main speaker cabs, and was wondering if the vibration would be to much for the fixtures. Thank you for your time, it is much appreciated, Doug.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hi Guitarman063 and welcome to the forums.

You should be fine putting moving heads on top of speaker cabinets. The rubber feet on the lights act like an isolator and isolate the fixture from most of the vibrations of the cabinets.

On the sides of the stage, those are PS 575 IEs on top of a McCauley SA-422, McCauley CMS-88, and a road case 45" high and 22.5" wide. Those lights stayed up there the whole night and didn't move the whole time.

If you are just trying to use the lights to 'spot' people for solos, maybe try a couple of wash fixtures. They have bigger beams then spots a lot of times. You might also look for spot fixtures with a frost filter as the frost will also make the light beam larger. However, both of those options won't give you a hard edged spot. Not sure if that is the effect you are looking for or not.
Thanks for the reply. very nice looking set-up!
I have been trying to look at some of the vids on you tube but it's hard to judge the distance from the light to the wall or floor. I guess the only way to really get a good idea of what they do is to go to a show room somewhere and see for myself. the only problem is I'm located right in the middle of Chicago, St.Louis and Indianapolis. Oh well Road trip! lol Thanks again, Doug.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.