Skip to main content

I'm a small nightclub (300 capacity) owner doing the lighting myself. Just got two accu spot 250 pro lights, was all jazzed then bummed. I like to run my lights in audio mode with just a blackout switch. Was dissapointed to find no input for such a switch. I ran the lights, but the focus is so lame they look sad. Used a elation 192 to run lights in audio mode (ch 14) but could not use the focus (ch 10) whats up with that? Anybody got an idea to remedy my problems?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Wow, 14 DMX channels. My biggest fixture only has 9, but hey, whatever works, right?

According to the manual, you've got this figured out spot-on. I am assuming you mean you're using a DMX Operator 192 controller.

Well, it sounds like you know what you're doing. You've obviously set the fixture(s) to the first channel being 1, and therefore channel 10 would in fact be focus and 14 would be sound active putting it all the way up(255, but 240-255 works).

Are you using DMX cabling? Are you terminating it? Are you splitting the signal or are you running it properly(which is parallel, but works via pass-thru so it appears serial)?

Now, as far as the DMX Operator 192 is concerned, which is a step up from my older DMX Operator, I feel the same issues apply.

Sound active is all spiffy and neat, but it requires that you program not only scenes, but chases into the unit. This would mean that your focus would also be programmed in scene by scene. Yup, just a fact of how they work.

I can certainly understand you want of a blackout controller. Saves you from having to power the fixtures off IF blackout also turns the bulb off. Some fixtures use a shutter and so the bulb remains on the entire time the fixture is.

So, my answer with in regards to addressing your other investments:
Learn to program your DMX Operator and create a bunch of scenes. Make sure channel 10 is where you want it. Might as well use up the whole 240 scenes, which can control up to 192 DMX channels, so your two lights don't have to match. Then program those 240 scenes into 8 chase sequences(randomly). There you go. The DMX Operator 192 has a built in microphone and should it be in the room with the sound equipment, it will change things based on the bass hitting, as well as what that "fade" fader is set for or what the speed fader is set to.

It also appears the DMX Operator 192 has an RCA input, so you can round a split off perhaps a matrix or aux send off your audio desk and into the control surface for your audio response.

Otherwise, there are other controller solutions, as well as software solutions like Compu Live and MyDMX. I don't see a valid sound input on MyDMX, but I'm still learning it.

Want to get bit more hands-free and go audio only? This is the wrong fixture for you then, mainly because of your requirement for a blackout controller. Of course, your DMX Operator 192 has a "blackout" button, which effectively kills all fixtures from outputting light. This solution isn't ideal based on what you are saying. It sounds like you want to hit a switch and that bulb goes out. Simply put, this fixture dones't do dimming, based on the DMX specification sheet.

If you max out your scenes and chases and randomly switch chase sequences, nobody will be the wiser. Maybe once in a while mix them up.

This fixture would work great for me, as I want control over my fixtures anyways. Running on auto-pilot mode isn't my kind of thing.

Further suggestions: bring a checklist of items you want to see on a lighting fixture to work with your sales guy. It just sounds to me like this isn't the right fit for you.
Thanks Chris for such a timely and in depth response.The Accu Spot Pro does have %0-%100 dimming on ch 11, so you were a little off. When I said i used a blackout switch it stop the fixtures from reacting to sound (moving)and either closed the shutter or turned off the lamp. I turn on my Accu Spots 250 II's at 8pm shut them down at 2am thurs-sat, it always worked well, nice and easy.I was wanting to do the same with my new Accu Spot Pro's but I guess I'll have to learn how to use my Elation 192, tried several times but it a bit confusing, at least to me.
oh you can expect those from chris. he doesnt like making his post count go up but likes to do it all in one! HAHA! (chris you know im just giving u S**T) now im not too sure about the black out controller you have but i will see if there maybe be one coming out. but like the light says is PRO and while you could run as audio mode but why? u got all these cool features to use and program to make ur club have a kick A** light show. use it. just my two watts on it. let me know if you need any help as i had the op 192 and can help you program it if u want. or need advice programming it. sincerely,
Thanks for you reply. I,m headed home with my DMX operator 192 gonna try to program a show with some roller trons I got lying aroun my house should be an interesting night... Thanks again I'll let you all know how it went. Reading all the post & replies about how good the op 192 is got me fired up and I do want a KICK A lightshow in my club.
Whoops! I missed it. There it was, channel 12! According to the downloadable manual, but sure enougn, 12 is dimming. Serves me right for scanning film strips while reading this forum!

As I've said in the past, I've had my DMX Operator 192 since it turns out 2001(end of 2001!) I didn't program anything into it until February or January of this year. Of course, I've since zero'd it out, but that was a decision I made. Through documentation, I can redo what I want the way I want. I basically re-did my channel assignments.

So, I can tell you first hand that programming these units is not necessarily the easiest thing in the known universe, but at the same point, it's not that difficult. My hint: Read all the way through the programming section first. Don't me at the gear, just read that section all the way through. Then take a break, read it again, but slower this time, mainly since now you know where to pay more attention.

Take another break. Now get in front of the gear, and take your time and do it. I'm working on some note sheets for documenting my programming. What's great is, since I erased my DMX Operator, I can just re-use the values to get the results I want, no guesswork. I'm lazy, and lazy is still a lot of work!

I bet some things could work out. If you set your DMX channel that controls focus to focus, you can set the fixture to otherwise be in sound active mode. I cold very well be wrong, but I am betting that will give you both things you want: sound active and focus. I'd say try it. And you still get your 2AM "You don't have to go home, but you can't stay here" announcement before you hit the blackout button capability.

You're lucky in the fact that you have facilities and can test what you're working on easily. For me, it's not so simple since I gotta set up a truss and stands and t-bars, dimmers, hang stuff... too much effort for a quickie. I'd say use down time or non-prime hours for play. Well, that's what I would do.

OK, my post count went up again. Do I get a cookie yet? It's not 2AM here, but I gotta hit my blackout button.
Does adjusting focus work at all?

I wonder what sound active over-rides/controls. I was suspecting it would bounce colors, gobos and move the head around on X and Y in what appears to be random.

Short of having one of my own to play with, I'd suggest a call to support. But that's outside my budget right now!

I know that when programming scenes in the DMX 192 at least, you can over-ride or at least partially over-ride scenes. That's why it made sense to set a scene with focus right, then the channel for audio mode set.

This one is outside my area. The stuff that should make sense isn't making sense. You're answering the questions asked, so it's not like you're not doing your fair part.

I'll read the manual in full when I'm more awake.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.