Skip to main content

Hello,

I bought (4) American DJ Accu Scan 250 scanners and (1) Elation DMX Partner DMX controller as a package. I am trying to learn how to use these lights and its very confusing! Even after reading all manuals! Heres what I'd like to know:

1. What DMX addresses (or values, numbers...) do I set in the display windows for each of my 4 fixtures?

2. How do I use the Joystick on the DMX Partner to control the pan and tilt of the fixtures?

3. How does the fade time and speed adjustments work on the DMX Partner? I cannot get the speed and fade time to change with the buttons. Basically, I want the fixtures to all slow down and move slowly and smoothly in a continuous sweeping motion like the nice expensive lights they are suppose to be!

4. In Sound Active Mode my fixtures just go crazy at any sounds- flying through every color and gobo, as the mirror whips around in a frenzy! How can I get these to slow down and look like the fixtures in the pictures that is printed on the box!

To anyone that helps- Thanks for your time! Smiler
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hi Matt

Since no one else has answered you yet, I can try to offer you some help. I've never used the DMX Partner, but from looking it over at Elation's web site, it seems that this device is intended for playback only and not designing your own chases. Do you have chases already programmed into the DMX Partner? The chases will only work properly if the Scans are properly addressed. If you wrote the chases yourself, then you should know where everything should be! If not, then maybe look around the internet and try to find a list of the program that you have pre-installed. It wouldn't hurt to try addressing them all in a row, starting with the first scan at 001, the next at 009, and so on and seeing what happens.

Regarding the fade time and speed controls, if they work anything like all the other boards I've used, fade time will adjust how long the board takes to crossfade between the two steps and speed will adjust the time interval in which the board triggers the steps. For slow movement, you'd want both values to be low.

From reading the manual, it seems that you need a 'real' DMX controller to access all the features that the Partner has built in, including the joystick, or at least you need a controller to tell the Partner what to do with the joystick.

Like I said, I've never used this controller so everything I'm saying might be wrong, but I guess it's worth a try!

Good Luck!
1: Read the manual.

2: It doesn't matter what channels you use, but you only have 96 channels to work with. There's no right way. You can set up all the Accu Scan 250's to the same addresses(identically addressed) for all it matters, DMX is cool with that sort of behavior so there is no harm.

The DMX Partner looks like it can support chases. With the software, it looks like you can do quite a bit as well. I can't necessarily say that if you want more control to get a DMX Operator. Mind you, I have a DMX Operator and I love it. BUT, if you want more ready access to control, the DMX Operator doesn't look like a winner in that category to me.

While the DMX Partner looks to be a nice and convenience size to lug around, think about what you might want a year or two years from now. Head in that direction now, you'll save money.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.