Skip to main content

ok, so what's best?

as many know the 50's are half the size
but less than half the price,

so basically 2 Mega Bar 50's are cheaper than 1 Mega Bar...about $100 less total

2 Mega 50's have about same # of LED's,
(2 less Blue than Mega, Red & Green same)

i assume intensity of 1 Mega vs 2-50's would be about the same...

i would be getting the RC version of either(with remote control)

so if putting this 1 or 2 light(s) on 1 stand...
and used for mobile DJ, weddings, sweet 16, 3 piece band, different venues, etc.
basically to light up stage/musicians

which is best, 1 Mega or 2 Mega 50's?
pros & cons?

thanks in advance...
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Here's my thought

I don't have any Mega bars, but I have 8 of the Mega Bar 50's.

What I like to do is sort of pair them up. This also gives me the option to do some old-school pulsing effects(say, 1 pulses on/off blue, the other on/off red) which I'm not sure if can be done with the Mega bar. Also, they are smaller and easier to transport.

My original intend was to get 4, but it wasn't enough. 8 got me almost all the way there(I'm trying to compensate for the long throw of the 64 LED Pros). But, now that I have 8, I get some additional options to work with.

So, my opinion is I really like my Mega Bar 50's, but I don't want RC versions, DMX only. But then again, I'm using them in events where I need DMX control and bring DMX control, so it's all good.
I don't think the remotes are keyed/serial ID'd to a specific light, so it would be a "all for one/one for all" sort of deal.

I'm not willing to pay for an RC option, mainly because I don't need it for the type of events I do. But, I can certainly see RC being a much more attractive option if I was doing more DJ-type jobs because it would definately save me set and strike as well as avoid some cable clutter. I'm not knocking the RC options, I just personally have any need for it.

I'm sort of more of the opinion of a "the more the merrier" type of logic. But I also like to end up saving money as well as enabling myself with more options. Of course, sometimes I gotta spend more to get more.

I haven't ruled out the Mega Bars for myself, but they certainly aren't something I'm interested in at the moment. Right now, my next tasks are based around getting better Elation cans and getting competent with Compu Show, in addition to other major jobs that I'm working on, that oddly enough, involve Compu Show.

I would say that either light is good. Just depends on what you do need. I think you need to think what events you've been doing.

Another option is that if you're tight on space, the Mega Bar 50 lets you maybe squeeze a few more in since you've got a smaller footprint to deal with.

The issue with the remote is the possibility that the RC version may not master/slave properly with the non-RC version. I'm not checking out the manual right now, but this may be mentioned in the manual. If that is the case where you COULD use the RC as a master to the non-RC Mega Bar 50's, that would be really cool because you only have to have 1 remote, and hence only 1 at a higher cost, which considering what you're going to get for your money, that's pretty good.
I own and like both mega bars and mega bar 50s - not the RC versions. Since each Mega Bar 50 has exactly half the number of LEDs, they should put out almost exactly 50% as much light. I see the RC versions have fewer LEDs than the non-RC version and the 50s have 49.8% as many LEDs as the Mega, but doubt that it has a significant difference.

I use two Mega Bars uplighting the wall behind each side of my band, and four 50s as footlights from the front of the stage. The Mega bars have a great impact behind the band. The 50s are overkill - they have to be turned way down as foot lights to properly balance with eight ProPar 56 RGBs front lighting the band from above.

Chris is right that you can get more variety out of twice as many 50s (at least that is true with DMX - don't know with RC). As I use them, however, I'd prefer half as many Megas. This is because the Megas Macros and sound mode can be used to great effect to light up the wall behind the band. The macros use the entire 4' length of bar to chase, etc. across the wall. While you might be able to get that effect in Master/Slave mode with two 50s, you can't Master/Slave two 50s when using DMX.
here are specs on RC version
i assume it has DMX, like the old?

by the way, the Mega Bar 50 (non-RC) doesn't seem to be on ADJ site anymore...
it's in the DISCONTINUED section
so i hope the new RC version has the same DMX options

Features & Specifications:
• 1.5 foot/.5 meter ultra bright, indoor LED Color Bar with 125, 10mm LEDs (24 Red, 54 Green, & 47 Blue LEDs)
• Includes wireless infrared remote control up to 30 ft./10M (Model: ADJ LED RC)
• 7 DMX Channel modes: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 & 7 channel modes
• 7 Operational modes: Manual Color Mode; Color Change Mode; Color Fade Mode; Auto (Program Run) Mode; Sound Active Mode; RGB Manual Control Mode and DMX-512 Mode
• Great as an architectural wall wash or for performance stages where traditional stage lighting emit a lot of heat onto performers
• Smooth RGB color mixing (fast or slow color change operation)
• 32 built-in Color Macros
• Color strobe effect
• DMX-512 Protocol
• Electronic Dimming: 0 - 100%
• Beam angle: 40-degree
• Linkable via 3-pin XLR cable
• 4-button LED display on rear panel
• IEC AC outlet on rear to daisy chain power
• Includes mounting brackets
• Long life LED (Rated at 50,000 hrs.)
• Low power consumption
• Very low heat output
• Run all night – No duty cycle
• Multi-voltage: 90-240V, 50/60Hz
• Power Draw: 18W max
• Dimensions (LxWxH): 22” x 2.5” x 4” / 560x63x102mm
• Weight: 3 lbs. / 1.5 kg.

ADJ LED RC Infrared Remote Control Features:
• Black Out: Turns fixture On/Off
• Auto Run: Automatically run through built-in programs
• Program Selection: Access units built-in programs
• Flash: Strobe effect
• Speed: Control speed of Auto Run
• Sound Active: Activates sound active mode
• Slave: Designates the fixture as a “slave” fixture in the Master/Slave configuration
• Set Address: Set DMX Address on a fixture
• RGB Buttons: Adjust RGB colors with the “+” and “-“ buttons
• + and – Buttons: Adjust flash rate, speed of the Auto Run and Program Selection
Wow, that didn't last long. I don't even think the Mega Bar 50 lights had been out 2 years, so they are getting discontinued while still under warranty.

On a personal note, I'm not willing to pay for an RC fixture. It's a risk factor and I'm not willing to take risks, at least as far as for what I do. For me, it's not only not a marketable item, having RC is a deal killer for my purchasing decisions. Please read this as:
If a fixture HAS RC capability, I simply will not buy it.

That's not saying I don't see a market for these. It's just not a feature I want in my rig. With the lights never facing me, it's useless. In some events I'm doing production, there's always some idiot with some remote controller running around looking to cause trouble, and last thing I need is some excuse for some idiot to cause me more grief. I do admit I'm doing less of those events these days because I'm pricing myself in ways where they can't afford me anymore.

Worse case scenario is that if ADJ keeps coming out with RC fixtures, I'm just going to have to buy more Elation gear! That's OK, because my next purchases are mainly Elation fixtures anyways. I do have plans for 4 ADJ Profile Panels though.
Elation has the design Strip series, which I'm not familiar with personally, but they are definately not RC units. I'm also not sure if they support master/slave type functions.

You'll pay more for Elation. You'll get brighter though, so it's a fair trade.

In events I run, master/slave and stand-alone functions aren't desired features, and are ignored because they can be disabled by going into DMX mode.
I had the same doubt a couple of month ago! 2 is always better than 1, since
1) you can use them in the opposite sides of the room
2) if you have to uplight something sometimes the megabars are too long (for things like coloums etc)
3) if one of them breaks you still have another light working Smiler
4) I don't know if you use a car or a van but smaller light are easier to pack up (tetris style Big Grin )
quote:
musiclee

I have 2 mega bars RC for 2 weeks and i love them BUT:
Big problem is that when you are using both close together they both react to the remote.

This means that when you want a master/slave setup you can NOT use the RC because the slave jumps out of it's slave mode as soon you push the remote! (when you want the master to go from a program mode to a audio mode, the slave jumps in that same mode and is not a slave anymore)

You need to turn of the IR eye of the slave or do something so the slave stays in the slave mode even using the remote but i don't know how..

I'm still waiting for a solution from ADJ..

Cheers,
Edgar.
@musiclee
"but then i saw that 4 of these would cost $800
as opposed to $300 for 2-Mega 50's" lol
It depends a lot on the use that you wanna do with them, if you want to put them on a stand or for uplight! Flat tri7 are at the end of the day parcans like others (of course very cool ones) and are good for columns but if you use them full power they could create hotspots...
bars and panels are more homogeneous and (generally) more powerful, with all the propar56 etc exeptions...
SO if you want to use them on the side arms I think mega bar 50s will be perfect! and if you don't care about some small rgb flickering (nobody does) they'll be the perfect price-perfomance ratio Big Grin

@edman
dark scotch tape in front of the bar's IR is the fastest and easiest way to solve this type of problems Wink
@Dj romani:
I tried big black pro Scoth tape (i called It duck tape in my post)but It does not work. You need so much tape that you block 50 leds!

I now put a big pillow on the slave for a couple of seconds every time i have to use the remote but it is a lot of work and looks realy stopid!

Hope Adj soon has a solution..
Edgar.
@edman
maybe even the pillow could look professional if you put your logo on it and use it during your gigs XD
I didn't read about the duck tape...but on the other side this means that adj wireless receivers work well Big Grin In fact even the remote of my adj smoke machine works form every point of any room where i use it! anyway thanks to you messages I think that for my second uplighting kit I'll buy both rc and classic versions of mega bar to avoid this problem (of course an IR switch in the back of the unit would be useful)

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.