Skip to main content

Reply to "Wireless DMX?"

In my case, I have an event I run where after I set the lights, I disconnect DMX and I'm done. My ADJ lights are all I need, and they are in eihter a solid color(footlights with mega Bar 50's) or sound active(8 64 LED pros and 4 Mega panels), and that's that. IF I had my Chauvet fixtures for that event, it would be acceptable if they chose to go into disco/sound active mode, which would work fine. But that's not the norm to be able to get away with such behavior. It was great during SacAnime Summer 2010, where I set the lights going, then disconnected and walked away. Didn't need to leave my laptop in a high-risk environment. I will say this though, the DJ team does do their best to respect ALL gear on the stage, they are a good group of guys.

Everything we do involves some degree of risk. We have to choose how to manage that risk. Most of us seasoned folks don't like to leave much to chance.

I will say this, if Elation were to send me some of the wireless gear to try out, I would try it out. That's not JUST because I like Elation though. Pricing would be my other worry, because it ain't cheap either.

Now, even though I'm not really a big fan of Chauvet, and I DO have some of their lights that I do enjoy using, I'm sorry but I would not be inclined to even bother with their wireless solution even if they gave it to me. It has to do with how they are choosing to transport the signal, and I don't want a data stream going out over a public UHF frequency. I'm not worried about someone sniffing it and "snagging my show", but mainly someone interferring with it, even if unintentionally. This isn't a slam on Chauvet, because I'd have the same point of view with any DMX solution by any vendor using VHF or UHF.

2 things to keep in mind:
Most people here aren't pros and can't really afford pro gear. That's the reality. I can't begin to count how many people in the MyDMX area constantly needing profiles for cheap lights. But, you know, MyDMX needs profiles for cheap lights, so hey, that's how it goes. We also gotta give props to Jingles for making all those profiles upon request too.
More gear, even cheap gear, is incorporating more pro-type features, such as "hold last DMX command" type stuff. This is in part due to the fact that it's often the same team writing all the DMX firmware and coding, so they just tend to use the same boilerplate stuff over and over again. The upside is folks are buying cheap lights and getting unexpected but highly welcomed features.

For me, for now, it's cabled. Period. I have enough problems as it is. I got NO problem tracing a cable with a problem.