Skip to main content

Reply to "Wireless DMX?"

Bleeding edge technology as we call it. Nothing unusual for early versions(be it hardware and/or firmware) to be glitchy, buggy or plain old "WTF" stuff until the developers hammer it out.

The Chauvet solution I think claims to run 3 universe via UHF, meaning it's got to compete with wireless mics, TV, and all sorts of new consumer crap out there. Not something I'd be willing to trust even with directional antennas.

With a wired solution, assuming I got to run things the way I want to, with all video, lighting and audio coming to a FOH position at the typical FOH mix position, I can't see lighting doing anything other than running a cable or cables from their gear at FOH to the stage, and at that point a wireless transmitter being run from that point. At the same time, if you went and got it that far, why not just keep on cabling?

If forced and I had to choose, I would choose the Elation solution mainly because I know Elation will stand behind it and support it in a manner I've come to expect. Plus, it's not in the UHF band, which sometimes I have to fight with to find a clear frequency, and then fight it all show to ensure I stay on clear frequencies at times. I can't do this for a data signal and keep track of the mics, it's too much to deal with.

In the big show I work on, wireless WOULD save set and strike time, but I'd have to get like 6 receivers or more, and the costs are just too high, especially considering I have DMX cable to spare these days.

Now, at another event I do, having wireless would be a major saver, especially during the summer one where I gotta run lights on two stages, and moving gear just isn't convenient and running a cable is just freakin' impossible.

Everyone has to evaluate their needs to determine what is the optimal solution for them. The Elation wireless solution is perfect for those who need it, which is why it exists. The price justifies the work done to ensure reliability as best as can be done.