Skip to main content

Reply to "Wireless DMX?"

The LED trees look nice. My only concern using wireless DMX is what happens on the 1% of jobs where the system fails. Either through interference or just signal obstruction I think it's bound to happen sooner or later. I'll admit that there are some venues have geometry that would make wireless DMX a nice option, such as where you need to run cable through areas of high traffic. Either way, I can't afford to have my entire system glitch out on the 1% of gigs where the system fails. If I can't run a cable to it I figure out a different solution.

If I were to go wireless with my DMX I would do something along the lines of a data network with dedicated computers running dedicated software that can be programmed to do 'something' with the lights in case of signal loss or interference, even if that's just have them retain their last solid command. Having moving heads or LED Pars suddenly go into disco mode because they lost DMX signal or got confused would be unprofessional at best. A lot of lower dollar units are like this.

Speaking on the reliability though, I think cheap wireless DMX is a lot like using mic cables in a light system. It may work, but sooner or later something will go wrong. At a bar or club that 'might' be okay, but certainly not at a corporate event or ceremony being broadcast on live TV.