Skip to main content

Reply to "Wireless DMX?"

While the technology may be proven, it's still tough for me to want to bring in.

The article you posted is actually a good example of a rather difficult situation. In this case, you're dealing with the logistics of the wiring and omitting as much as possible through the use of wireless. But this isn't exactly a mission critical application.

Take for example, an urban concert venue. With 10-18 thousand fans, 60% or more with WIFI-enabled smart phones, as well a those NOT using the WIFI and streaming the games and concerts(illegally mind you) via their cell phones, WIFI for networking and credit cards, wireless phones, radio(2-way, as well as wireless mics, headsets, IEM's and more), along with broadcasters(radio and television), police, fire and other emergency services nearby for "just in case" stuff, a live environment is unfortunately a very RF hostile environment.

Right now it's difficult enough with the United States FCC taking away a large chunk of RF due to the digital television migration. That sucked for me on multiple levels because I lost 2 channels, and I can't right now afford to replace them. But, on the frequencies I do have, it's getting harder to find something available. And I'm not alone in those regards, but I can't afford a decent RF sniffer either right now, AND I might have to buy 16 more channels of wireless fairly soon, which will include antenna distros as well. With that many RF channels coming in, and my 5 IEM's that will jump to 9 or more, plus my older VHF wireless, it just bring a lot more to manage.

Chauvet has a solution, it's cheap, it's in the UHF band, and really, I don't trust the UHF bands for data transmission because of the clutter. Now my mics and IEM's gotta compete with DMX?

Again, I'm integrating WIFI into my rig, and when I get a digital desk, it will be wired to from the console to the stage rack, with the WIFI providing additional control options for the stage box(that's where the brains of the systme is anyways), as well as providing remote control options for stuff I mentioned before. Since I'm going to be running some Cat5 anyways, at this point, running another cable for DMX isn't a big deal. In fact, I may just design a bundled cable for my rig that covers everything I need for certain runs.

It's going to take a while for this to catch on in the market with big players. We just don't like taking chances when we don't have to.

On my event last weekend, on Friday, I had 2 bands. Due to time, I went with wireless mics for vocals, which was OK. Only 1 vocal on the opener needed to go wireless. For the headliner, they stayed put, so wireless isn't necessary. The second night, only the headliner stayed around so I went all wired. Despite the convenience of wireless, I prefer wired whenever possible.

Now, even though with all that, I do see this being a great idea for club owners who don't want to run cables, or churches and other corporate type organization that also don't want to run cables. This is a good way to avoid the visual distractions based on the way things might have to be done. This is ideal as a fixed install. And as far as Elation using it in trade shows, it's a matter of trying to be neat more than anything, but at the same time showing a product they intend to market.

If I owned a club, though, chances are I'd run a cable or more. If that wasn't an option for a wide range of reasons(because I can find lots of ways to run cables), then I'd go with Elation's solution.