Skip to main content

Reply to "Wireless DMX?"

One of the issues with a router is that the router(s) need to be able to route and/or switch the protocols being sent, and these days, that would be IP as the protocol of choice(the core part of TCP/IP or UDP/IP). If it's IP, you might be better off with a Layer 3 switch instead of a router, then use the router in a one-armed routing mode for anything that needs to traverse to another network. But that's a whole other issue.

I had 2 customer 200-foot Cat5e cables with those Nuetrik ethercon connectors done with STP(I said I wanted UTP, idiots didn't listen) for $134 at dealer pricing. It would have retailed for around $200 for the pair. CHEAP!! Cheap!

It's not worth it to me to go wireless. It's too expensive and I can just use longer DMX cables.

Another issue that I have against the Elation solution is that it uses the 2.4Ghz band, which is saturated with cordless phones, WIFI and even some other bits of stuff here and there. Now that I'm using a WIFI network in my set-up so I can use my iPhone to control my iTunes library for pre-show tuning as well as for controlling the media player, it's one more thing to collide.

The other issue is that for me it's just plain inconvenient for me to have to lug around receivers and plug them in where needed. One more object or set of objects to have to deal with.

I'd rather go cable. The chances for something gong wrong decreases.

I know talking with Jingles that Elation has been using the wireless stuff at tradeshows without missing a beat. That sounds good, but regardles it's outside my price range. I'd rather get another 500 feet of cable for the time being.