Skip to main content

Reply to "Wireless DMX?"

Funny you should ask. Elation has been selling wireless DMX gear for years.

[URL=http://www.elationlighting.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ItemNumber=1401&MainId=1&Category=DMX Solutions]EWDMX[/URL]

Considering the costs vs. cable weight savings AND the fact that you STILL need to do DMX wiring(just to a lesser extent), it's not a viable option for me. I'm only giving up maybe 4 cable runs and for the time it takes me to get extra power to certain locations to operate the receiver, I can already have a cable run.

I've been told Elation has been using these at trade shows with no problems.. That's encouraging because that can be a rather hostile environment, what with others using the same non-licensed frequency band for their stuff as well. However, talking to lighting guys(I'm a sound guy), it's just not something anyone is willing to risk a show on.

I think this is a strong product, but it's going to be more widely used in corporate and commercial type environments where wiring simply ins't a convenient option. For tours, it's going to take a while before it takes off. Since we(people who tour) gotta run cables of some sort or another for various other things(multi-core for audio, or even Cat5, fiber/optical), there's no big deal in just running another few cables for DMX or other transport protocols(Dante, ethersound, MADI are just a few options).

This stuff is too expensive for the DJ market.