Skip to main content

Reply to "What lights to get"

Well, that's a bunch of "it depends".

What are you into? What sort of lights do you want to provide for your clients? Do you want to do a full on light show or the typical DJ "high-tech FX" stuff? What sort of rooms are using "playing"? How big, what type of crowds, what type of music?

Easily set-up? What do you mean? I find a 10-foot truss easy to set up, but LTS-2 stands are easy too. Or you you want stuff you can just mount on a speaker stack or on the floor or a raised surface?

I do concerts and events, so what works for me probably would not do what you would need. DJ needs and event/concert needs don't tend to ovelap too much.

Here's my suggestions:

Get a couple of LED scanners and an LED centerpeice like the LED Mystic DMX, or Starball DMX or Sunray Tri-LED DMX.

There are so many choices that could be either good or bad depending on how you want to use it and what you want to use it for. I'd say cruise the ADJ site really fast and watch the videos to get ideas. Start budgetting IMMEDIATELY because it's super easy to get over-budget. Download the latest MyDMX from the ADJ web site and install that. Test RIGHT AWAY with your hardware to ensure all is well. Then, get out the house and start gigging. Also, PLEASE ensure you get some Accucable for your DMX wiring and buy or build a DMX terminator. These are also things you're going to need.

In the near future, as your lighting rig grows, consider an Elation OptoBranch/4 DMX repeater.