Skip to main content

Reply to "What is the correct volts/amps for a Show Designer power adapter???"

Thanks for your responses, I appreciate everyones help. So, here is the situation and the reason I'm asking about the power adapter voltage/amperage. I have three of these show designers and I don't have the original A/C adapter for any of them (and I haven't for quite some time now). So, I've always used Radio Shack adapters or whatever else I have around that was 9V and at least 500mA.

Recently, one of my Radio Shack adapters broke so I had to buy a new one while at the same time I lost my adapter for one of my other Show Designers. So, I went to Radio Shack and bought two of the 9V adapters rated at 800mA (which should be more than sufficient). I've ran the adapters for the past couple of weekends (we are a mobile DJ company) and didn't have any noticeable problems until this Saturday. At two separate venues running two separate controllers I had the same weird issue. It seemed as the music got louder and I pushed my output more, the controllers began to seriously flash on and off, sometimes they were flickering so bad that I couldn't even change a program. Needless to say, it was quite annoying (and I'm sure not the best for the light controller) but there wasn't much I could do since I was in the middle of two events, I just let the night run out.

So, I guess my question for you Chris is what mA rating does your Radio Shack adapter have on it? The other controller I'm running has a 1500mA adapter and I haven't really had any issues with that one, but these just seem to be having some serious issues. Thanks for any help you can provide!