Skip to main content

Reply to "What is the correct volts/amps for a Show Designer power adapter???"

Well, going to the Products: Controller: Discontinued page, I see the Show Designer.

On page 1 of the manual, it states 9Volts, 500mA and center pole positive.

If you have your old wall wart, match it up. I replaced the one for my DMX Operator with a Radio Shack model. I had to do this because my original wall wart dropped and broke as a result. I'm not advocating using Radio Shack, but I've been satisifed with my replacement wall wart, and it has a 90-degree angle tip, which is idea in my install environment.

So, if you have your old transformer, match it up. Call support just to double check. Ensure what the wall wart and the unit say match.

Using too much or too little voltage or the wronge miliamps can damage electronics. By using an external transformer to convert the AC to DV, any company is relying on that transformer delivering the expected current into the unit. This is much different than a unit that uses AC power directly, usually using an IEC cable(you know, those computer-type cables). Of course, this does mean the transformer is inside the unit itself. Sure, it adds some expense and weight to the unit. I prefer this mainly because I can get an easy to obtain cable if I should be careless and lose the cable.

However, without proper electrical design and shielding, internal transformers can introduce noise into the data stream, audio(as applicable) and even into the circuit boards themselves.

I know I'm going off topic a bit. The usage of an external power transformer does not suggest an inferior product, nor that products with an internal AC/DC transformer is superior. It really depends ultimately on how the unit is designed. Having an external power supply does mean that ONLY the power supply needs to be UL-certified and approved. This is much less expensive from a manufacturing point of view. If the wall wart is already UL approved, then the device being powered by that wall wart doesn't need UL approval. With a company like ADJ sticking to their "standardized set" of AC adaptors and then engineering products to work with one of those, it speeds engineering time and doesn't require the entire unit to pass UL approval.

I've got top of the line data communications equipment. I have a T1 CSU/DSU, and it retails new in the box fully loaded for $5000(street). It has an external transformer. This is THE "Rolls Royce" or "Ferrari" of this type equipment. Clearly, external power supplies in and of themselves are NOT a bad thing.(I happen to own at least 2 of these units)

So, thanks ADJ for going the less expensive route and passing those savings onto people like me, the end user. Even if the savings weren't that much, I still appreciate it. I might suggest moving to mid-line transformers though. Space on Furman rack mounted power modules is at a premium!