Skip to main content

Tempest 250 MSD - No Sound Activated or DMX Slave Modes

Hey Everybody!

Old guy that is new to the forums, and I need a little help please...

I bought a used Tempest 250 MSD today, and when I got it home I did my usual things like cleaning the mirrors and checking to make sure the microphone projects into the rubber grommet properly so that it picks up sound. I found that it won't work in sound actvated mode, nor will it slave to another sound activated unit. Changing the dipswitch settings didn't change anything, and it just randomly starts up and runs whatever patterns it decides to run.

I'm wondering if the board may be smoked in this unit, or if it has a short somewhere. I'd be willing to replace the board if that was the fix so I could get this light back up and running. Yes, I know it's a beast of a light and heavy as hell, but I really like the patterns it produces, and I think it would be a great companion piece to my Hexstar and my other lights.

Also, am I correct in assuming that this light can be mounted in any position? I was thinking about mounting it on a tripod with the face pointing towards the crowd at my shows. Wish I could do that with the Hexstar but the internals won't allow it.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Original Post