Skip to main content

Reply to "Steps and scenes, many uses?"

I agree from the standing of making a scene, then making copies of that scene for different colors. I find myself doing this quite a bit. It's really handy. Plus, with good organization, you can find things rather easily.

Also, I agree with the "Plug and Play", which has theoretically been good, with the Mac platform really capitalizing on this concept through strict hardware control. Plug and Pray? Yeah, heard that one before. I prefer "Hope and Pray", seems more accurate! The Korg Nano-series, as much as I have talked highly about them, is in the "Hope and Pray" category. It's just funky drivers that definately need an overhaul. Of course, MyDMX sometimes falls into this hope and pray category as well but lately it's been solid.

As far as a highly syncronized show, MyDMX or a single laptop is NOT the right solution, it's at least a 2-box solution. Or, this is a 2-computer/box solution until MyDMX gets more MIDI functionality. Otherwise, TroubleMaker's concept of properly ordering things, combined with human intervention via one way or another, would be the way to go. It won't be perfect, but it would most likely have passable results. I don't mean "passable" as in "well, it works and we get by", I mean passable as "yes, the results aren't always absolutely perfect, but we do find the results more than adequate and perfectly acceptable for what we're trying to accomplish.

This organization is just another way to think outside the box. It's ultimately not how I personally would do it, but it can result in more than just acceptable results. It comes down to the skill and talent of the lighting designer coordinating with the talent.

I did a big show that used a repeating 30-minute scene that has over 2000 steps. It got the job done, so let's just say the clients were happy. Was it good? Well, who is to say. I thought it was overly busy, but since it was for a rave, I guess it was good.