Skip to main content

Reply to "Sound Quality of the VMS4"

Here's the report from my first night out with the VMS4.

Output level seemed really low. I kept at around +4 as the manual states but it still sounded low compared to the clubs pioneer mixer and my own AA Q-SD mixer I used to use.

The gain affects the phones volume substantially. I was running with gains at about 50% with the fades up full. This meant I couldn't turn the master volume up much over half. With this setup the booth output was also quite low.

I could obviously try running the gains higher which means the phones and the booth would be louder but would mean the master would be much lower - which seems weird to me.

Even with VDJ set to gain+remember I did have to adjust levels to get a consistent output. And the VU meters in cue mode are at a lower level to the main output so it's difficult to set up front.

Plus I also find the VU's in cue mode annoying as I prefer to watch the master VU's while mixing, but can't if I have the phones on.

I've also narrowed down the cue issue which only happens when VDJ is running, but I plan to re-document in a new video.

Found the Mic gain very, very sensitive. Had to turn the gain on the radio Mic receiver waaaay down and then I could get a decent response out of it. Again, didn't have this problem on the AA Q-SD mixer - one would have thought that common components would be used!

That's all for now.

Roy