Skip to main content

Reply to "Software Based Music Sequencer Control of myDMX"

You'll most likely want to use a hybrid set of CC's, note and patch change instructions and scenes.

Keep in mind that scenes can become quite complicated. The issue could be in timing as you lose some control over that, which might not be a problem if you're not changing your sequence's time for the scene.

Another option is to use CC's, wich can be a pain to program. Note ons with velocity are not a good way to do transitions, CC's work better. The only way to use this with note ons and velocity is to crank up your tempo so you can get higher resolution with your MIDI clock(not to be confused with MTC) so you can bust off with the 32nd notes with micro changes. But this gets cumbersome, time consuming. CCs would also be time consuming but would be easier to edit later on.

I think in some cases, scenes might work better. For other things you might want to do performance-type triggers.

I think it's best to let the software actually do some of what it's designed to do. You don't need to make extra work for yourself.

For example, I'm converting a show from MyDMX to Compu Show. I'll actually in the end have more lighting cues(the myDMX show has 214 scenes), but I won't have to built a 214 scenes. I mean, I only use so many colors. I might need some slower or faster for fades, and a few blackouts to handle blackouts, and some sets, but that's OK. In the end, there's a lot of time saved doing it this way than doing it the MyDMX way. But, in defense of MyDMX, I'm pushing MyDMX past what it was ever intended to be used for.