Skip to main content

Reply to "Room Design"

My issue with clubs is that they don't get it.

I see your point, TroubleMaker.

There is a club I'm doing an event at tomorrow night, followed by scooping it up and running to the next club for a second run 30+ miles away. No easy task.

The club owners have repeatedly shown themselves clueless. This place is a sports complex, and the club is a combination bar/restaurant/night club, you know, the typical. It's "concert night" an I gotta keep it down because apparently the DJ blasting 130+db trance crap over the bowlers is top priority, and when I checked, the lanes were empty.

Last event, owner comes up and say "people are trying to have conversations here" during the concert. I said "last I checked, the doors aren't chained and they can leave the room".

I mean, I'm sick of going to places that welcome you in then prevent you from doing your job.

For me with MyDMX, I just need to get a concept of what I'm doing. My environments aren't perfect. I can't visualize this stuff on my own, so that's where MyDMX helps. A general design gets the job done for me. One size fits all. I still have 2 trees of 8 Par 38's each that I have programmed but NOT laid into the stage area of the 3D Visualizer so I have some "spare fixtures" I can play with to provide more fill. I haven't moved my high-tech FX into the truss I placed because it's not essential. I'm more concerned about on/off stuff with those.

I dislike working in the 3D environment because it's not as easy as my time allows me to work. I find myself getting into a work flow, which is the cue for everyone/everything around me to break that. Older pug decides to bark for no reason, younger pug decides to get frisky and wants to play. Puppy pooping in the house despite just being taken outside, baby wants to eat, change, or just flat out scream. Other two kids take this as their cue to start a fight, my visiting in-laws(not parents) take these opportunities to make excessive noise. Wife chooses these times to have a god damn re-run conversation. And then she whines about me being up late. Well, gee, I was up at 8AM and trying to work until 10PM, so when you all cork off to bed, I can finally get some REAL work done. Having said that, I do honestly feel a 3D environment is the better way for someone such as myself to relate to this software. But it's such a struggle, I only want to do it once.

Next week, I have to prepare for my July 25th big event, then after that, full steam ahead for programming for my August 29th event, where I need a 2-6 hour(yes, 2 to 6 hours or MORE) of light show to deal wiht a rave event.