Skip to main content

Reply to "Room Design"

I think the key phrase in Chris's rant was, "first off, they aren't using MyDMX."

I am by no means bashing MyDMX, it is a great program for the money. However, there are a lot of things on my Hog that make going from venue to venue extremely easy. For example, update a few focus points and all my cues and scenes are in order. The Hog II actually had an XYZ system on it that would just ask for all lights to be aimed DSR, DSL, USR, and USL and would update everything automatically then. They have been talking about adding it to the Hog III line, but haven't yet. It also wasn't spot on a lot of times too, but then again the Hog II only had 4 megs of RAM in it too and was DOS based. As for the effects, I can adjust size, speed, and rate on the fly or update them if I want. There are a lot of venues I just walk into and go. I get a few room specs and that's it. My larger shows, I get more specs and might do a site survey depending on size.

But as far as visualizers, it just isn't worth it time wise for me to sit down and build the stuff in VectorWorks Spotlight and/or WYSIWYG. Venues I am at frequently, I normally do full blown rooms in both so I can show clients some stuff. And I do my 2D plots in Spotlight for just about everything now, but working in a 2D environment is much easier then a 3D one.

Again, its a preference thing. I would much rather spend time programing then building virtual worlds. Of course, I also have the advantages listed above and more with the Hog too. Different strokes for different folks.