Skip to main content

Reply to "PS2 Help!"

Those are some pretty huge calls there Matpec on the "whole" club scene. In my experience there are no two clubs alike, they are all different and whilst equipment might vary, its club managers who are culprits that ultimately determine your success and reputation as a club DJ. Your attitude and communication ability is what can get your foot in the door but your abilities and experience as an entertainer will keep you there. See previous post above about attitude - this is universal no matter whether your into the mobile or club scene!

The best advice, as Billabong put it, is to always be prepared, have business cards and a demo or two in your back pocket. Of course it is essential you first learn the fundamentals of music meaning eg. learn beatmixing and reading tempos etc but above all learn to read a crowd and cater to them musically.

I'm sorry MatPec but unless your an elitest DJ like Oakenfold or whoever else famous, you don't always have to have the absolute latest in music, as an entertainer you have to give the crowd what they want and that means playing music you don't necessary like.

DJs who try to educate/bore a crowd by playing all unheard music all night don't last too long in one venue. In the real world your residency in a club will mostly depend on bar turnover and bodies and its the combination of club manager and crowd that will be dictating what style of music you get to play - old or new. This is where your abilities to read a crowd come into play, the more you can keep a crowd up on the floor, enjoying themselves, the thirstier they become, the more drinks they buy = happy club manager = increased reputation and repeat club work for you.

Also the ability to using a mic is essential. Of course too much of it can be annoying but you need to make a presence, if you come on sounding like a nervous pimple-headed teenager you'll lose respect in an instant and that's depsite your mixing abilities. Learn to use a mic effectively and you'll learn how to control your crowd effectively.

Like I said earleir, all clubs are different and whilst my theories might work on most clubs they wont work on all of them. Its all relative to the culture and location of the venue. Good luck

ROQ out.