Skip to main content

Reply to "Profile Request May 2011"

Actually, NO YOU DON'T need a profile to make a fixture function. All you need to do is set the values.

The NEED for a profile has been discussed at great length, only proving IN THE END that profiles are NOT needed. They help US as humans relate to the fixture better. They also help the computer be able to do some stuff for us, such as linking channels, grouping and FX stuff.

MyDMX works on a "snapshot" basis. Whatever you use for values are stored with the scene and/or step within a scene, regardless if you have a profile associated with those DMX channels or not.

I had to incorporate this one guy's pair of movers into a show, and lacking the correct profile, I said "to hell with it" and just kept the manual open to the DMX traits page. Adjusted scenes and everything with no problems.

Right now, I'm waiting to hear your results of a test of channels 1,2,3,4 being set to 255 and channel 5 set to 0. This should result in WHITE.

Take out channels 2 and 3 and you get blue, leaving channels 1 and 4 full on.
1 and 2 full on should be red
1 and 3 full on should be green.

See if that works.

Do you have the capability of scanning the manual page(s) that show DMX traits? I just get the feeling something is missing. Right now, the main thing I see missing is a manual being available online. So, short of someone sending me one to test with, it's best to wait for a maunal page to show complete DMX traits. Seeing as how you seem to have 16 of these units, yeah, it might be nice to have a manual.