Skip to main content

Reply to "Placement"

As far as angle, higher up in the air with the lights, for a more downward angle with the lights. Unless you've got some high-cranking crank stands and some serious ceiling, your options are limited.

If you can go way high over their heads, you can put the lights CLOSER to them, but then aim more downwards.

I prefer IN FRONT of and as high up as I can get whenever possible. You'll figure this stuff out on your own what works best.

As far as being crammed into a corner, I won't comment there. I've had lots of clients forget about the concept of "stuff takes up space" and then try to cram a band into a tiny tiny area. That might have been the case there. "That's all you got, deal with it". Yeah, I like big stages, been spoiled by working with A-listers for 16+ years in one degree or another. My priority has always been BAND first. I'll set sound and lights around them if I have to. I don't mind having to put the lights in front of the mains if I have to as a pole ain't gonna mess up sound much.

Here's a crappy event where they crammed us off to the side so the couple could use the stage for themselves. Whatever. It as a wedding.

I had NO room to run lights.

Same venue With lights at another wedding. We got to use the stage this time.

But here's an event that might help:

No stage, truss only about 7 feet high. I aimed at their stomachs, mainly because I know the wide beams of the Par38's would give sufficient spread.

I still recommend MyDMX. Don't want to be on stage? Fine. Be by the sound guy. Run a long DMX cable next to the audio snake. Done, problem resolved. Easy. It's just a tiny hardware interface you can throw in your laptop bag. Maybe bigger than a small console(the laptop), but definately smaller than a "manly" big console and probably more features and a tiny fraction of the price.

Oh, LED panel being used on stage. Solo performer(one of my favorite guitarists). I had a 64 LED Pro off to ADJ being repaired, so I lost 2 off each tree, and replaced them with my Mega panels. I had 2 Mega Panels then, then a couple of months later I got 2 more. In this event, I had to maintain clean sight lights and side lighting in order to maintain a neat appearance.

More of those Right here.

DId I show the nest of Mega panels? Not in this thread.

DJ's love this, bands love this. My rave client loves this.

(notice the Mega Bar 50's, you can't see the 64 LED Pros on tres 15 feet away, at head level in front of them, blinding them.)
This is hown I set the cans at the same event:

Hope that gives some ideas.