Skip to main content

Reply to "Placement"

Thanks again for more info. I'm hoping to have time to do some more research today. E's at one practice now, and practice for the new band starts at 4 so I might go to that one. Thanks for answering even though I'm not a "guy"... always one of the guys... but sometimes I'm not well received in forums because I don't have the proper 'equipment' lol. Years ago I used to sing as a placeholder in one of the metal bands during practice, but the guys were leery about having a girlfriend or wife in the band. After almost 9 years they aren't bothered by it anymore. Besides, it's 'only' lights Wink I'll have my own stuff to carry and not be lugging Coffin cases up and down stairs as often, but it usually gets me through the door for free Wink

I record the shows on a Zoom now, for review later, and sometimes post on the Facebook pages if the band is happy with the live recording. The wedding band wants the video mostly for QC, and that's part of why they've agreed a change needs to be made. I don't pretend to know how to run sound, however, when I can only hear the back up singer and not the person who is singing the song, I know that levels aren't correct - which I find irritating since I'm 6 feet away from the sound guy and he seems oblivious (or not there). When E's playing Sweet Child o' Mine or Van Halen's Ice Cream Man and you can't hear the guitar, I'm not just upset because I'm his girlfriend! But to avoid any accusations like that, it's best if I just record the shows. I'm more and more convinced that simpler can be better if you're not a professional at lights or sound. No matter how fancy your sound board is, it doesn't matter, if it's not used properly. And, as I said earlier, the lights are usually just on a slow chase, no attempts at highlighting anyone or anything. Guitarist admitted, after looking at the pictures from NYE, that the cans are so incredibly hot that he just avoids them if he can, he's 6½ feet tall, they blast him right in the face. (so LEDs will be good here, as long as he doesn't look at them and go blind). Smiler

So... about the pictures of the small corner stage area above, where exactly would you guys put the t-bars with panels on them?

And you both think that MyDMX is the way to go for me? I must say I'm hesitant about the expense, and it seems like overkill the way they advertise it being able to run huge shows, but I don't know how to program a board either, so either way I'm starting from scratch. I'll download the demo and take a look. Maybe it will help me understand more of what the LED panels can do as well.

I'll try to stick to a few questions at a time :-)

thank you tons