Skip to main content

Reply to "Placement"

Gina,
Be aware that LEDs have many advantages which have nothing to do with "going green."

They don't throw off heat - I had band members complain about the the heat from incandescents ("cans").

Each fixture can create an infinite number of colors - cans have one color. Multi colors give you a lot of "show" options with very few fixtures, e.g., you can put the focus on the singer or the player taking a lead by putting a bright light on them and dark color wash on everyone else - that kind of stuff is not practical or much less effective with only the ability to dim a can.

When individual lights are put in sound mode, the variety of results is much greater with LEDs.

Having enough electric power on the stage can be a huge problem with cans. I had one show with cans that was a disaster because the cans just barely glowed and our amps acted crazy due to low power.

I agree with the MyDMX recommendations so long as you are not a musician in the band as well as a "roadie." If you are playing in the band, going with MyDMX will raise a bunch of issues you should address before you decide to go that route to light control.