Skip to main content

Reply to "Placement"

that really sucks that you have competition like that. I saw your website, very impressive. I don't think we'll ever get on a grand scale... the local scene here isn't great. The sound/light guy gets $250 which is often more than the band members get, and if the band gets more, then he gets matched for that night. I'm at the shows anyway, and the guy who is wanting to run sound has a setup, simpler, but he knows how to work it. (So we'll likely be splitting the $250~~ meaning I am on a budget lol). But pretty much none of us have regular jobs anymore, so every little bit counts. Lead guitarist is in 4 bands right now and making ends meet - I've been his "roadie" for 8½ years now, I'm sure with the right equipment, even if it's fairly simple, I can light up the stage, not blind anyone, and then start tossing in effects. Currently I don't know how to do anything but fade in and out. I've seen enough of people putting a dimmer pack on 'auto' and letting it blink randomly during the whole show, and honestly I think it would look better to just have a wash over the whole band and leave it!

The band pictured is mainly a wedding and party band, doing bars to fill in empty spots. The acoustic act uses one lamp and is doing ok like that. One of the metal bands is mostly recording and tends to play shows at venues with crappy lights and sound already there. Original music isn't popular here, which is so unfortunate. The new band we believe there is really a market for, but it will take a while to get it going. We might end up playing for very little at first. It's hard rock covers based off a popular radio station's playlists, and they're in process of writing some originals to toss in. This band will need decent lighting, and I'm the 'chosen one'... and I'll like end up tweaking sound equipment along the way.

One think I have in my favor is that I'm familiar with the set lists - and I pay attention to them. I am confident that I can add to these shows by knowing the correct places to black out, fade, or whatever changes I learn to do. What I'm not so confident about is how to control the equipment "intelligently". I don't understand the programming of scenes, etc, and I guess I need to hit youtube to learn what that means. The guys are totally willing to help with setup on-site, which is a relief. I probably wouldn't have taken on this challenge if they weren't willing to help out. At least everyone knows I expect a cut... I can't blow all this money for 'fun' - even if it does get fun after a while Smiler

-gina