Skip to main content

Reply to "Placement"

Not that my opinion counds for crap, but here it goes:

I've got photos myself that are similar. You live, you learn. At least I can take the blame for it.

1: Too small a light and too narrow a throw.

2: Not enough lights, and hence unable to cover it all.

3: Not enough throw(lights too close), hence the small narrow coverage.

4: Tied to 3, not enough lift, but that was probably done for ceiling concerns and being able to reach to focus/aim the lights.

Foot lights would have helped, almost halfway between the dance floor and the lovely orange cords(ugh... I dont have orange cables(for my stage applications), and for anyone who does, now you know why to not use them for stage)

Beter utilization of the poles would have helped as well. I mean, who the hell said you can't mount a light to the pole? I do it all the time:

Beats using a second pole in a limited space arrangement! ADJ 64 LED Pros on the T-Bar, Chauvet DMX 500's(intimidator Colors) on the post. BTW, for those interested, in that shot, the upper Chauvet fixture crapped out on me 10 minutes before the show started. This T-bar is just off my FOH at side of stage position, so the black object under the legs is an antenna for my wireless receivers.

Another thing that could have been done was to use some gels just to knock some edge off the lights and bring some of the harshness down. Using the LED cans and/or panels that aren't tri-LED(1 LED with 3 colors in it, not 3 LEDs) will show a smearing at such proximity. A couple more feet back would resolve MOST of that, making them usable AND knock away some harshness.