Skip to main content

Reply to "Placement"

Well, the problem with your question and the help is that:

Unfortunately, at Guitar Center, the lighting people are typically DJ's who have this task thrust upon them. DJ's OFTEN(not always) have different lighting needs than bands. And then the problem with bands is each band has their own ideas of what they should have(besides a job, steady income... you know, stuff like that...)

Here's what you should think of for band lighting:
WASH. Wash and more wash. Mainly, you want to light the band up From the front and above(if you can do it) and maybe with a footlighting type application(pointing up from the floor, but at an angle, not straight up at their butt!), and if you can, some light from behind. If you gotta compromise, skip the backlighting for now.

Don't waste your money on traditional cans and dimmers. I don't say that to know ADJ's "legacy" type products. You spend MORE per fixture but less overall, when you go with LED. Let's say you gel a set of 4 regular cans Red, Green, Blue and white(no gel), that's a dimmer's pack worth of channels. now you gotta aim them all at the same spot. more lights, more set/strike/storage/moving and weight. Go LED: less power draw, less weight and chances are more functionality in the fixtures.

The other thing is you're a beginner. There's too many choices these days, which is good and bad. It's good to have so many choices, but with so many choices, it can be difficult to choose, especially when you don't know crap yet. And really, there's only one way to learn: by doing. Unfortunately, you're gonna have to pay for your schooling. I did it this way too.

So, here's my advise:
If you have a laptop, get the MyDMX product for control. You'll get way more functionality for not much more money than an intro-level controller. When you outgrow your controller, you move onto MyDMX or a more expensive controller anyways, so let's skip that step.

Other good starter options are general purpose lights. Typically, the LED cans are a fantastic starting point. Yes, they can be kind of expensive, but it's a good investment. You can wash DOWN, UP, and with darn near infinite colors, dimming, strobing, macro functions and sound active modes, the ADJ 64 LED Pro is a fantastic fixture.

Similarly are fixtures like the Mega Panel, or if you're budget impaired, the Profile Panel. Other panel-type fixtures are like the Punch Pro. Lots of mounting options as well. With the Mega and Profile Panels being very slim, they aren't bulky to lug around, which can be important. Like the 64 LED Pros, lots of functionality in there, especially in the Mega Panel and Profile Panel.

A next logical step might be some of the Mega Bar fixtures and/or the Color Burst fixtures.

For now, sticking with wash only lights gets the job done effectively and efficiently. After this point, you'll get bored and want to go and get some moving head fixtures, scanners or other lights to add some movement to your shows. At this point, you'll need something like MyDMX anyways to really take control of your lighting.

So, with your idea of 2 T bars, do this:

4 Mega Panel or Profile Panels, 1/side of the bar, with 2 panel lights per bar. If you want to be "cheap", go with the Profile Panel. If you want to stretch the budget, you can go with the Profile Panels and a Mega Bar 50 per band member so they each get a foot light. Use MyDMX for control.

We're talking around a $1500-1600 investment. Cables might be a bit more.

The only other problem with Guitar Center is that just like any other place, they can't possibly show all they have in stock or available. It's not possible. They do show a lot of good general purpose lights, including LED's. It is like Jingles said though, depends on who you get.

I'm a sound guy. I do lights because I have to. I might as well be halfway decent about it.