Skip to main content

Reply to "P64 LED Addressing Issues"

It really depends on the light itself what the DIP switches mean.

Looking at my Color Fusions, DIP 1 and 10 UP are Master mode, while the slaves also use DIP 1 up but DIP 10 down, and using switches 3 and 4 for identifying which head they are to the slave.
At the same time, in DMX mode, DIP 1 does indicate 0/1, thus signifying even/odd numbers in DMX addressing.

Other lights, there is a clear "DMX mode toggle) switch.

There is no rule or standard, although in an analog-type addressing(using DIP switches), switches 1-9 are typically used for addressing and with the same values.

It is necessary to read your owner's manuals. It is also necessary to perhaps print the entire manual or pages and keep them with you in what I call a "show binder". This binder contains any elements I consider "critical" for any gear I have. Since audio is more "standardized", I don't find myself needing much literature for my audio rig outside my RTA and console, just for safety. With lights, I carry the pages for all my fixtures that pertain to addressing, DMX charts and a few other things. I also keep a few pages of instruction for my DMX Operator in regards to programming mode. But, if you want to make your own cheat sheets to carry around, that would be great too. In fact, since you wrote it yourself, it would serve two purposes: hammer it into your head mode AND provide reference. Personally, having that reference handy is what I need. I got a lot of stuff to deal with at shows and the less I have to memorize, the better.

Just read your manuals. Most of the time they'll tell you everything you need to know. Often, the stuff left out of manuals is the stuff you learn by using your fixtures.