Skip to main content

Reply to "P64 LED Addressing Issues"

I routinely ran DMX down a 200-foot XLR cable(a pair in my whip) that went as follows:

Short XLR with right angle XLR plug OUT from my DMX operator(needed the clearance, had to go right angle) into a XLR M to 1/4" balanced. Into a patch panel, across a balanced patch cable into another patch panel, which in turn was loaded onto the whip. Hit channel 56 on the whip and on the stage box, a turn-around XLR cable I made for another application(since discontinued) and then onto more XLR cable for going to lights. Worked great.

No more. All DMX cabling. 200foot run right off the DMX Operator to NEAR the stage box, then tied in with additional DMX cabling.

Personally, it works, it works great and I like it. BUT, agreeing with Jingles, I personally also feel that "holy crap, I'm pushing this signal down a LOT of cable" and honestly, 100-foot is really my threshhold of pain where I'd want something in there. But, what I'm going to end up doing is getting an OptoSplitter at the stage side to break it out. I have follow spots and a front and back set of lights. Should clean up cabling issues as well.

Instead of a long serial run now, split yours up at logical points to avoid issues. And since the Optosplitter will basically clean up your DMX signal, that gives you a "fresh signal" to send out again.

Make sure you're using DMX cabling(please!!) and use a terminator. Sounds like you got this.

BTW: a lighting company I know uses a 350-foot cable for events. Never had a problem.

Sometimes we got to spend. I am already planning my next purchases, and lighting is in that budget, and yes, the optosplitter is probably gonna be in there as well.