Skip to main content

Reply to "Opinions on Speakers for Mobile DJ"

Dave,

As for having a band surrounding you with sound...in actuality, that's exactly what is happening as much of what you hear is reflected sound. While I don't agree with Dr. Amar Bose applications with his speakers, his findings themselves cannot be argued when listening to a live performance.

That said, when listening at home, and if listening to a well recorded piece that hasn't been overcooked like 99% of recorded material in surround, the results are simply breathtaking and totally realistic...far superior to any typical 2 channel playback regardless of speaker type.

As for making the hair stand up...this alone can do this while bringing on a serious case of goosebumps! It's too bad most recording engineers want to overbake the additional channels for the cheesy effects rather than the ambient clues of good natural reflected sound.

As for dynamics, I can easily reproduce any level that might be attained in a live setting in my reference home system...but then again, with 8 15" subs, 6 12", 12 7" kevlars, 7 1.25" soft domes & 3 4" ribbons with over 11,000 watts to properly power them, dynamics certainly isn't an issue Big Grin

I have indeed heard some magnificent sound pro systems...at an astronomical cost I might add, yet none have come remotely close to attaining the sonic superiority of a good home system.

The real factor here is the playback material itself...one must have a good source to be sure.

Bob Dietrich
ProDJ.com Gear & Equipment Moderator/Review Staff