Skip to main content

Reply to "Newbie Question"

Since nobody bothers to tell what a "macro" function is, it's impossible for MyDMX to be able to simulate it, even with their own products.

I'm tossing my ADJ Color Fusions into Macro mode and in MyDMX, they just sit there doing nothing.

This is how I use the 3D Visualizer:
It is a reference/proof of concept/design tool. It lets me know most importantly that might lights are pointed where I need them. In the case of my moving yoke fixtures, it gives me a safe reference to know I'm doing it right, I can't assume perfect. As far as my color mixing, I trust it. As far as things like "gobo spin, color wheel spin" and stuff like that, if I'm doing more animated stuff like that, I can live with the visual being representative of what I was after, rather than perfection.

For me, the 3D Visualizer is something I can't live without. Even with it's limitations, I do trust it. Without it, I would never have been able to work on the show I am still fine tuning. It would have been impossible to have done my design without it. Even so, it has served me well for design and proof of concept. Now, I need to properly aim the movers for the actual blocking, which is part of my documentation.

Knowing how to use the tools is critical, as well as understanding expectations and limitations and how to work within them. Yes, MyDMX's 3D Visualizer is not showing me absolutely everything I need to or want to see, but it is showing me enough to get the task done as quickly and as effectively as I can work(which isn't all that fast).

I suppose I should upload and share my show, complete with custom profiles.