Skip to main content

Reply to "New mydmx user needs urgent help"

Hey, Glen!

a couple of quick notes, one former newbie to another...
First, there is a scan library editor in your start menu under MyDmx. This is very easy to use, and you should immediately begin to learn how to set up your own profiles.
Second, although the visualizer is a really cool tool to use when you're starting out, you'll find it a pain in the a$$ once you know the program better, because it can't represent some fixtures well. I've gotten to the point of not using it at all unless I'm adding a new room and want to see what the space constrictions might be.
Third, MyDmx has a lot of powerful uses, if you're willing to think outside the box. As an example, there is no chase, per se, but you can use the effect generator (in the editor tab) to achieve this kind patch. Your imagination is your only obstacle with this tool.
Finally, SAVE, RESAVE, AND SAVE, THEN SAVE AS, SAVE AND SAVE, SO YOU CAN SAVE YOUR SANITY! I can't tell you how many times, starting out, that I had to reconstruct my show because of "operator headspace and timing", that is to say that my clicking finger wasn't engaged to my thinking cap. I've since learned to have a backup area to save to as well as my default working space within MyDmx.

And, btw, Jingles and Chris are excellent instructors. I couldn't have gotten this far without their help. Chris is a bit verbose, however... J/K, Chris!