Skip to main content

Reply to "myDMX - NOT for performing Musicians"

MTC ain't gonna control your fades. Might want to learn what that is used for. If you're using MIDI as a sequencer, you're not really syncing to anything, you're just having something behave as another MIDI device(say, a synth, sampler, drum module, keyboard). What you'd want to see is if fading is assigned a MIDI controller. Often the fade time is controlled by the console acting as the MIDI to DMX unit.

Ideally, it is necessary to understand the role of MTC, and the vast majority of it is to line up(within reasonable limitations) multiple units outside the master controlling sequencer. Tempo control comes from MIDI clocks based on the tempo programmed into the sequecer for the song(96 clicks per beat). In the case of SMTPTE, the MIDI interface converts the SMTPE stream into MTC with SPP(song position pointers), so it becomes necessary to ensure that your sequence is set to start at the proper time. As the SMTPE stream goes flying in, MTC is generated with the SPP data and the sequencer rolls into chase mode until it hits the right location. This typically happens within a second. The sequencer can then re-generate MTC and pump it down any MIDI out, where other sequencers and/or computers will listen to the MTC to get their location, which again will take usually less than a second.

It is due to this "Delay" is why I often recommend at least 1 blank measure at the beginning of any song just to resolve this. I also use this one measure to send any sequence set-up parameters such as patch assignments and any initial volume settings.(My Emu Proteus 1 drags butt when having to do a volume change and that channel is in the display window on the module. Other units of mine can emit noise during patch changes) If you gotta do sysex dumps, then you might want to allocate more time. But then you'd also have to do more pre-roll and if you're striping tape, striping extra tape.

MIDI time code merely transmits location within a song, and has nothing to do with actual streaming time code.

On top of that. MIDI Time Code(MTC)isn't all that accurate. It's not unusual to see things start to drift around the 10 minute mark, especially when syncing to ANALOG tape. With digital MDM's and workstations, MTC tends to hold up a bit better since those mediums don't stretch have tighter operational timing specifications.

Chances are, it sounds like CompuLive is the way to go. It has internal bridging and more functionality than MyDMX and from what I understand isn't that difficult to get started with.

Look, with hardware, it's designed to work certain way. Usually, MIDI is added as an after-thought. Honestly, you've got to go past the ADJ controllers to get really great MIDI implementation. not knocking ADJ, but you have to get the concept that in some cases "more money means more functionality".

I won't go into the MIDI functionality of MyDMX.

In the case of using MIDI on my DMX Operator, the fade times are controlled by a fader on the DMX operator console. In the case of MyDMX, assuming the MIDI functionality is working properly, the fade times are programmed into the scene. Limitation? Weakness? Depends. But a quick work with a calculator should be able to get you to nail the new fade times. It does mean each song should be programmed appropriated, including fade times.

Look at what MyDMX is. It is a rather powerful package, but at the same point is marketted to the lower end of the marketplace. Considering the price gap between Compu Live and MyDMX, the jump in price isn't really all that bad. But, I work at a different level, so where most users are crying at the "extra cost of Compu Live" over MyDMX, I'm whining over trying to round up $100K or more to get new audio consoles and stuff like that.(Debating A&H iLive or Digidesign Venue or a Midas XL8).

What becomes more and more apparent is that a lot of folks are jumping into purchases and then really paying for it down the line. I hate that. It's one thing when you purchase something and then in time outgrow it. That's a "stuff happens" scenario and can go along with simply being the cost of business. I'm just seeing a lot of people buying products that simply aren't appropriate for what the end user ideally needs it for. Unfortunately, I can't place blame on the end user soley, but it appears on the sales people as well. Just wasted money, which could be better spent on the appropriate gear.

More people need to get on support forms and ask questions or contact companies directly either via phone or email to get answers. It would be nice if people in this smaller/lower cost marketplace was able to get its hands on evaluation units. But we don't because we're only spending a few hundred bucks, not a few thousand or ten thousand or more. Better to waste few bucks on phone calls than end up taking the plunge with what turns out to be a bad purchase and then you have to eat it.

It's like when you buy a $1000 Mackie board: You buy it and take your chances. In my case, it's a sure thing. But when you go spending over$40K on a console, you get some leeway. You can get some play time, some hands on, some more vendor support, and possibly a evaluation unit. Same goes with the lighting stuff too. I can't recall how many times I saw the local lighting company I like to work with and the owner playing with yet another evaluation board. While lighting is differet than sound, both should be fully evaluated.

There's a lot of gear out there. You can find what you want and what you need. Hopefully need and what you want lines up with what you can afford. The reason why there is so much gear is that for some people, what you hate may be what someone else loves. For example, Roland makes a LOT of great gear, but for me, their user interface for some units is just trash(in my opinion). I like how Korg does their stuff better. That's just an example as I own gear from many companies. Not everyone "thinks" the same way, so what seems logical to some is just "stupid" to others. So, sometimes we do have to cater to how the gear works. But, in some cases, it's not worth it, especially if it's just a controller. Since you're not reliant on the "sound" of a controller, so might as well move onto something that is more compatible with yourself.

Just makes me angry to hear of another person who wasted money on gear that they just simply hate. I'm still small, so I feel that pain, which is why I heavily evaluate best I can before buying whenever possible. We can't all know it all, but we can at least educate ourselves better.