Skip to main content

Reply to "MIGHTY SCANS....PROS N CONS?"

quote:
Originally posted by Drew:
[qb]YES, there is a huge differece in 150w discharge and a 250w discharge. The 250 is much brighter.

Id say a 150 discharge puts out as much light as a 250-300w halogen, and a 250 discharge puts out as much as a 400w halogen.[/qb]

I don't totally agree with this assessment. Optics comes into play here. Usually, the optics in a fixture utilizing a 150w discharge style lamp has better optics than a 250w halogen lamped fixture. In my experience, the 150w discharge lamp equipped fixture blows away any 250w to 300w halogen lamp unit.

Also, lets not forget color temperature either. You have a much hotter temp and consequently much purer colors with a discharge lamp...this is also "perceived" as brighter to the eye.

How much brighter is the 250 over the 150? Quite a difference if you have the lights mounted VERY high or some distance from the floor. In most mobile applications, I wouldn't neccessarily call it a huge difference for the relatively short throws we deal with in most cases, but it is noticeable to be sure.

Bob