Skip to main content

Reply to "MIDI Foot Controller"

Well, let me give my input really fast:

The Tech21 controller is definately oriented to be a guitar controller. Why? It uses patch changes, not note changes. But, MyDMX can learn Patch changes for scene calls, so it's fine. It's not something I would buy myself, but I will say it looks all metal and rugged, which are 2 things you definately DO want. But the limitations may be a butt kicker especially if you're not running your show sequentially.

Regarding the Alesis device:
Well, I just flat out dislike devices like that, and that even includes an M-Audio device(I forget the model, but it's the same thing). I prefer a BOX with ports for cables, so if something breaks, chances are it's a cable and it can be swapped out. But, will it work? Well, I honestly don't know. It depends on how it installs. MyDMX MUST have the device install as a MIDI device and not an audio device, even if it IS a MIDI device. So, without having one to try, I can't know for sure.

In my examples, my Korg nanos show up as MIDI devices, but my Akai LKP-25 shows up as an audio device. MIDIOX sees them both and they are all working, but MyDMX doesn't work with the LKP-25.

Similarly, the older M-Audio MIDISPORT 2X2 works fine because it installs as a MIDI device, while the newer but otherwise identical MIDISPORT 2X2 Anniversary Edition, last I checked, instaled as an audio device, rendering what I was using behind it for MyDMX useless. I am upgrading that computer I use those with to Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit right now, and since I gotta start fresh and M-Audio uses the same driver for both, they may have addressed that problem.

Similarly, with the upgrades, maybe the LPK-25 will work fine now. But I'm not there yet. I'm still installing applications for other stuff right now. MyDMX and Compu Show, which SHOULD be high on that list, are LOW!!

In regards to the Keith MicMillen unit:
Long USB cables are expensive and break as easily as shorter ones, so buy 2 to be safe. It does have the advantage of being stand alone and bus powered, meaning less crap to lug to a gig. This device is very soft, which means you can use it to control damn near anything. This is good, but it could be bad as it is touch sensitive, which for a foot pedal, might not be the best thing in the world as most of the time, you non-guitarists(I'm one of them non-guitar guys but I'm very guitar aware) need to realize that pedals are meant to take a thrashing. They aren't called STOMP BOXES for nothing. The company claims they are durable and "beer proof", which honestly, for club use, COULD actually be an important factor to consider! The bad thing is that it can only do 6 things at once. This might not be enough.