Skip to main content

Master/Slave Mode vs. Sound Active Mode

Trying to stop "broken record" syndrome since I've seen the same questions posed over and over again. So, perhaps this might get the attention of some newbies as well as people going through the motions.

Issue 1: Mix and matching.
This pertains to DMX mode vs. Master/Slave mode. You can NOT mix this on the same wire topology. Lightings behaving in Master/Slave mode, while using DMX cabling, do NOT work in DMX mode. You must choose a mode. Do not put your fixtures that are in master/slave mode into onto the same line that you're running DMX on. Don't cross paths.

Issue 2: Master/Slave mode. Master/Slave mode works exactly like it sounds. One unit acts as a master and whatever it does, the slaves attached to it do the exact same thing. The limitations with Master/Slave mode are that you must use identical fixtures as well a there is almost aways a finite number of maximum fixtures that can be used as slaves. Read your manuals for more information on specifics. It may be possible to mix similar fixtures, but again, check your manuals. Don't expect non-identical fixtures to play together properly. I have seen some fixtures that say that they can support master/slave mode for 2 fixtures(1 master, 1 slave), 4 fixtures(1 master, 3 slaves)and even 8(1 master, 7 slaves). Bigger numbers could be possible IF the manual states so

Issue 3: Sound Active mode. A lot of people like the "easy show" concept of sound active. It's neat, it works great. The big thing I see people asking over is really in regards to sound active mode. People want the control of DMX, but with syncronization of sound active mode among like fixtures. You can't have it both ways, unfortunately. In DMX mode, throwing a fixture into Sound Active mode throws that fixture(or fixtures)into Sound Active mode, and in this mode, each responds to sound active mode independently. Each fixture responds to Sound Active on its own, not in an organized group. Even if all the fixtures are on the same channel(s), the won't behave as one unit in DMX Sound Active Mode.
Sound active in Master/slave mode works as follows: The master does the sound active mode, and the slaves follow that fixture. In this case, you give up control of the fixture itself, but you do get syncronization of sound active mode response.

My suggestions are as follows:
Those who need sound active mode-type functionality yet need the syncronized "randomness" of Master/slave Sound response, the best solution is to program scenes and chain them together in a chase-type sequence. It's really the only way to get this accomplished.

This is not a shortcoming of DMX, Master/Slave mode or Sound Active. It's just the reality of the situation.

Keep playing, keep learning. And for everything else, keep asking!
Last edited {1}
Original Post