Skip to main content

Reply to "light help part 2"

Us bass players have less set up (not including the whole light rig that I also set up!) because, unlike the guitar players, we don't have 36 effect pedals (of which they only use three!!!!) to connect! Face it, you want the job done, get the bass man to do it!!!!!

Anyway, midi isn't that bad to pick up. Get a copy of Cakewalk and a cheap synth module (and a midi interface for your computer if you don't have one) and play away. As for lighting and midi, basically you can only do scene/show selection using midi (either using a sequencer or a midi pedal). The key is that many controllers only allow limited scene/show recording and VERY few controllers allow programmed fade times. I'm VERY happy with my Show Designer (except I can't get it to respond to midi right now!!!!! Mad ) It has programmable fades, presets that make program changes/show adjustments a snap, and records over 1000 scenes (enough for even me!). We use sequenced drums/effects so I am just programming a midi light track on every tune to run the lights. You could do much the same using a midi foot pedal too (I used to do that back when we put up with a real drummer in the band Big Grin )