Skip to main content

Reply to "LED Spectrum issue"

Holy Cow. I dont mean to insult your wireing skills, but from what the pictures show it looks like you somehow got hooked up to a 220v circuit. From the picture it appears to be the microprocessor, not the rom. I have seen such dammage before in an amplifer. Two things come to mind especially since the entire DMX chain got toasted. Most (if not all) of the dmx chips are optically isolated. there is no electrial "conectivity" between them. It would almost be impossible for the "surge" to go beyond 1 fixture via the DMX cable. With this said, that leaves the AC power. I have seen (more than once) many plugs in hotels that are not wired correctly. A 'normal' plug (looking at it from the front)is a smiley face. The left "eye" should be the neutral wire, the right "eye" should be HOT (120V), and the mouth is ground. (FYI the ground and neutral are tied together at the breaker box). If 1 plug is wired backward, and you are using 2 plugs on seperate breakers, it is possible to have 220V fed into your fixtures. (The "mouth" ground completes the circuit) 120v+120v=240v. If you are one of those people who remove the "ground" plug from your plugs and install the plug "upside down" in a recepticle, its almost certain. I always use one of those plug testers (usually has three lights on it), before I plug any of my equpiment into strange sockets. Leave the jokes alone.. Smiler. If you can get one of those testers (ususally under 10 bucks at home depot) and go to the venue where the problem occured and test the sockets, it will tell a lot. I you find one of the hotel plugs wired backwards, (i would recommend taking a friend with you and videoing the test for documentation), then you might have grounds for suing the hotel for the repairs. This is just a educated guess from experiance and no I do not work for ADJ. Comments welcome.

Greg Higginbotham
Legacy Entertainment