Skip to main content

Reply to "Help me choose a light..."

Well, let me chime in, for what it's worth:

I have 4 Mega Panels and 4 Mega Bar 50's.

Here's my complaint:
I only have 4 of each!!!! I want more!

But, for the money, my next purchase(after my BIG one) is most likely going to be 4 Profile Panels.

But, the issue is ONE LIGHT. Not multiples, not groups, not pairs, be a SINGLE light. Ugh, that's what I see being a problem. In that case, maybe one of the Mega Bar Pro's might be a better option.

Here's my justification:
Lights like this don't work well as singles. They work best as pairs or groups, not necessarily as a cluster, but as spread out. Sure they can work fine single, but let's look at a few things:

Mega Bars are a wash-type light. Not that this is a bad ting, but they are a one-trick pony sort of fixture. For me that's fine, that's what I bought them for.

Now, if you want to "spice it up", I'd say, for your money, if the Profile Panel has the same feature set as the Mega Panel(download manuals and compare), then if you want to be cheap, go with the Profile Panel. Here's why, and I'm assuming it's a lower cost version of the Mega Panel:

I throw the Mega Panels into sound active mode via DMX(you could just avoid that and configure it to be in sound active mode) and they do their own thing. The light(yes, single) will act like it has 6 zones? Maybe it's 8. I forget. I don't have a manual, but it will run through all sorts of stuff, with different colors. I think it's just going through it's macros or something, but it will change from stripes, to checkers to half panel things, quarter panel things, full panel things. So, if you're trying to be cheap, and the Profile Panel is the same as the Mega Panel in features, get the Profile Panel. Then, get more Profile Panels as it will grow with you better.

So, my suggestion, in case you didn't get it, is a Profile Panel IF it's basically a Mega Panel re-done as a more cost-effective fixture.

And yes, I am planning to buy 4 of these Profile Panels.