Skip to main content

Reply to "Help a poor old fat man....please...."

Thanks for all the input so far. I was able to make a deal for the two Wildflowers that my local dealer has in stock.

I am satisfied with the price and when possible, I think you should support the local guy who will stock the bulbs and other parts for service after the sale.

That said, I am not finished. As funds become available over the next few weeks, we/I/the band intend to add some additional lighting.

I had an opportunity to go to Oklahoma City this week and fell in lust...er, that should be love with the XP-3 and almost bought a pair at a national music store chain (but not one currently in bankruptcy...so that narrows it down some).

I was especially impressed when they told me the demo units were on during the entire day during regular store hours. They told me these units were just put up last Saturday.

However, they only had the two demo units and one new in box. So, I passed.

So, now with my remaining budget, I am going to be lucky to afford the Simple Scans by February.

My local guy suggested one Lotus as a "center piece" for behind the band or to set on the floor and aim towards the dancers along with the Wildflowers. That is pretty close to Megastever's suggestion. If we get the Lotus we will try both ideas and see which works best for our clubs. It may be that we like both ideas.

The local buy also has some demo Vertipro units that he will let go as well. The price for the two is slightly higher than the one Lotus.

Any suggestions regarding our next acquisition? Save for the Simple Scans (maybe mid January?), save "a long time" for the XP3 or go for the Lotus or the pair of Vertipros?

BTW, as far as "wash out" we currently intend to pull the DMX faders down on the PAR cans when using the various effects. (Thanks for your concern Drew and Bob.) And as I mentioned, these effects lights will be aimed at the audience at most performances, not at the band. We hope that 180 degree separation will help also.

The local dealer (one man retail/internet operation) suggested against the DMX controller for most of the lighting we are looking at.

So, any suggestions in that regards?

We thought that some kind of low tech, low cost on state foot switch would allow us to control what and when we wanted the effects lights for the audience...and we would let our sound/light man control the PARs with the DMX controller. Or not. So, if there is low cost a way for our sound/light man to control these effects....???

And I appreciated the suggestion gb (Glad you signed "Greg" or I would have thought "GWB"...) but, we don't do any psychadelic 60s rock..Just top 40 stuff from the "dance" and "doo wop" days. Actually, pretty tame stuff. If we did Led Zep, Cream and any Dead stuff...I would be all over the water effects. I thought they were very 1968 San Francisco-ish.

As always, should you or any ADJ Forum member be captured, you will be disavowed. Or something like that....

Seriously, I appreciate all the suggestions.

Tony...
The old, the wise, the fat. Or at least 2 out of 3.... Big Grin