Skip to main content

Reply to "Fixing the Microphone Distortion issue - need your input"

quote:
Please try lowering the gain on the MIDILOG channel EQ and increasing the gain on your output power amp. This way you'll have much more microphone headroom to work with.

Okay, I hear what you are saying. But I'm confused now about how the VMS4 should be configured.

I have the faders set at 100%. The Gain is at approx 50%. The master volume sits at roughly 55%. With these settings the unit peaks at +4 occasionally +7.

Even with these settings I can only turn the mic's up to 10-15% before they are a) too loud and b) distort.

If I lower the midilog gain and increase the master out volume I will have less play in the mic volume - less that 10% so I can't see how this will help!

Anyway, I tried my alternate setup for Friday evenings gig as follows:

VMS4 in to master input of the Behringer MX-882 splitter/mixer
Skytec Radio mics and wired mic in to a Xenyx 1204 mixer which went in to Ch5/6 of the MX-882 (simply because of the balanced 1/4" connection required from the Xenyx).

In this config I had no mic issues at all. I had planty of spare volume and gain on the Xenyx and the gain was set at 0 on the MX-882 and the VU's were nowhere near peaking on those channels.

The difference was major. The mics not only didn't distort, but they were crystal clear with very little EQ required.

When I am with Simon next week I'll set up identically and record the output.

I am really hoping this is an "early batch issue" as apart from the mic (and the master output levels) I am in love with this mixer. The integration with VDJ and the feel of the control and jogs for mixing are perfect.

Cheers,

Roy