Skip to main content

Reply to "First System - Halloween FX - DMX based?"

Well, let's look at a few things.

The audio/volume control on your Fender Passport system can NOT be automated via DMX. The system has no automation. Audio and DMX may live in the same general area, but they don't really like to mix. Besides, DMX-512 is a lighting control protocol.

I think if you hit Guitar Center, they are still blowing out the DMX Operators, at prices so low I want to have them re-hire the guy who sold me mine so I can smack him, that kind of price drop! That will make your budget stretch better.

DMX daisy-chains. You go INTO the first device, then OUT(follow the labelled ports), and then IN to the next one.... See how it works?

The controlling X-amount of fixtures is a bit of a misnomer, as it assumes certain things which may not be wholly accurate. These less expensive controllers limit how many DMX channels they use, so that is the limit on now many uniquely addressed fixtures.

I like hazers better than fog machines, but for this application, a fog machine is the better option, in fact the ONLY really useful option. But to get DMX control over the fog machine, you can STILL get any controller you want. The DMX Operator 192 has a dedicated FOG MACHINE port where you connect the console to the wired remote port on the fog machine.

So, DMX does daisy chain, in your instance, unless you're doing some really goofy stuff with placement and wiring, you don't need any splitters/distributors.

Now, while Jingles is recommending LED fixtures, I am respectfully disagreeing with him this time. But I'll explain. You're looking for cost savings and bang for buck, which you will get by not going LED. LED technology simply costs more since among other things, you have bulbs that theoretically should never need replacing. LED technology also uses less current draw. I think in your case, traditional halogen or whatever type bulbs would work better considering the amount you'll use them. Plus, they can still grow with you.

For example, a Par64 costs around say $70 or so, but I bet you can get those for less. Check the price on the 64B LED Pro, which I have 8 of. Looking at the individual price, well there's a big price difference. Say, I think list $400. Wow, $70 vs $400. Wow, there goes the budget.

Getting started, you don't need splitters and distros. Get a nice cost effective controller and get wise on DMX-512 fast and you'll be the envy of the neighborhood!

Have fun!